PDA

View Full Version : Filtering/hydrometer issue?

jamesd14
03-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Ok so here is my issue, tonight I finished about 1.5 gallons of syrup in my house, I boiled until my hydrometer was at the hot line at 209-211 degrees, my hydrometer I bought from leader so it reads all increments, when I got to the right density according to the hydrometer I filtered it through 6 pre filters into a coffee urn in which I let sit for a day or two for all sand to settle before I re heat to 195 degrees and filter through pre filters and orlon cone filter, tonight the syrup did not want to flow through just the pre filters, this has never happened. After I got all through the filters with help I did a quick check with the hydrometer, temp was 142 degrees and hydrometer read 65 brix, according to chart it should have read 62.8 brix on the hydrometer. So it looks as if I am real heavy, how would it be that heavy when up at hot test it was right on at 211 degrees. Any idea.

psparr
03-10-2016, 09:28 PM
One thing that comes to mind, is a heavy hydrometer. Dryed on syrup above the hot line weighing it down and giving a false reading. The other, did you check the syrup in the pot itself? May have need actual syrup temp (220-221) and giving an inaccurate reading. Can always thin it to proper density.

wiam
03-10-2016, 09:32 PM
If it was not covered when you reheat you are losing water.

jamesd14
03-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks I will have to make sure hydrometer is real clean, I do keep a thermometer in the pan and actually was ready 220.6. I am going to do crushed iced/water test on all my thermometers. My instant read I can adjust so I will make sure it is right on. I will thin syrup out when I drain off all the good syrup and reheat. Thanks.