PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Village Chap. Two

Al
03-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Thought I would start a fresh chapter. We're all tapped here. Snow up to your waist in places. Of course went over the ridge and put up more buckets there then I should of. Got down to the easier gathering spot and ran out of buckets. I perfer the aluminum buckets but haven't been able to find the flat lids around here lately so I'll just use what I have. The sugar house is ready. Had a tough time getting the evaporator leveled. Built a game table for the boys so they have some other form of entertainment. Chess, checkers and a peg game.
Hope to do a test boil tonight and be ready tomorrow. The sap was running pretty good today. Love to hear the chick-a -dees and the sap dripping into the buckets. Makes you thank the good Lord for a great day.
Take care,

Daren
03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
amen to that brother! The trees got a pretty slow start in Bingham Forest. I was hoping to start a boil in the am, but not sure if there will be enough until later in the afternoon. I am laying a bit low this afternoon due to "tweeking" my back attempting to get a snowmobile unstuck on my collection route. The snow is all mealy and with the depth, it doesn't take long to bury a machine. I am not looking foreward to the speech from my wife when she gets home about bulling and yawing on heavy stuff, especially after having surgery less than a year ago for herniated disks. I should have known a bit better than that. Oh well, at least I can walk at the moment. Keep me updated on your run. I am off from work until Thursday and hoped to have a couple of gallons made prior to returning to work this week. I will get over there this year to see your setup...come hell or high water. -D-

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Al,

Bascoms usually has plenty of the used flat lids. I use the 5/16" Leader spouts and the stainless hooks and turn the hooks around backwards and crimp the hook up pretty tight and use a drill press and drill a hole in the hook on the top of the spout and slide the hinge wire them the hole. I haven't lost a bucket off of the tree for 2 or 3 years and we have had a lot of wind here the past 3 weeks.

Al
03-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Well not much going on here. Bought another 20 buckets. Now we're up to the 140 I wanted. Have room for about 10 more but will wait and see. Sap has just been seeping out and don't have enough to boil yet. Really waiting on next week I think. The sugar house is cleaned and ready. I'm ready and the boy's are ready!
Take care,

Al
03-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Well we got snow here. The good thing is it's fluffy and light. Easy plowing. Rode around the woodlot to see if I needed to plow there but the New Holland just blew right thru it. Looked at last years log and we really didn't make any syrup until the 23rd of March. I guess we're right on schedule here.
Take care,

Daren
03-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey Al...I did get a short 4 hour boil this past Wednesday. I have not bottled it yet, but looks like about 1/2 gallon. Pretty dark though, might even be dark enough for B. Started with about 30 or 35 gallons of sap. Thats from 78 taps. Sure hope it starts soon. I have been looking into a rig like it appears you have (24x66). What are you getting for an evap rate on it? I really have to get over there to see your setup now!

WF MASON
03-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I just got a call from a guy in Bennington I've done business with in the past, he has 500 + buckets and has made 10 gallons so far, he very dissapointed , the same goes he in southern Maine. Most years with 2'-3' snow pack , the season is crappy. I hope I'm wrong and April boiling takes place everywhere.

Al
03-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Gathered yesterday and had about 90 gallons of sap from both days. Started to boil and heard drip drip drip. The valve on my holding tank sprung a good leak. It's a homemade job and it just started to get worse. Boiled untill the fire went out and now am repairing the valve. What a bummer. I had that evaporator right were I wanted it and we were going to town. Oh well!! I'll gather today and make a good night of boiling tonight. Sure was good to feel that heat and steam. Everyone have a good weekend!

Mike
03-24-2007, 08:45 AM
AL, Long time no hear from...How's it going ? Looks like we have some good days comming up.....I heard a lot of people where boiling yesterday....Ill have a boil this afternoon when I get up to the sugar house......Catch ya later......Mike

Al
03-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Gathered yesterday and had a total of 150 gallons of sap. Had a family get together an I'm really glad I put on that addition. Took awhile to get the pan sweetened but we drew off about a gallon of med amber. The valve held together so it looks like we're off to the races!!! I now have a snowbank that grows these green bottles. Too bad I didn't have anyone here to harvest them! We're ready for a quick draw off today. We have a couple of inches of snow on the ground but hopfully it will warm up quick.
Take care,

Pete33Vt
03-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Glad to here things are starting to get going for you. And its a bummer about your tank valve. Had sort of the same thing happen only it was the feed line to my rig. That sprung a major leak mid boil. Got it fixed on the fly with radiator hose and some clamps. Rig never missed a stroak.
Good luck with the season.

Al
04-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Well the last two days have been busy! About 130 gallons of sap a day. Started medium amber and have been running dark now. Tried cleaning up the rig to get back a grade but that didn't work. We're up to 5 1/2 gallons of syrup and going thru the wood to beat the band. The new finisher works great and I've needed it. Seems like the sugar content is low and I boil forever before I draw off. We've had a couple of get togethers and I've managed not to burn the pan!! I got a new thermometer and finally have got my level figured out. Seems like I'm running deeper this year to keep my temp accurate. Oh well!!! It's all syrup. I could of sold all my syrup this week between functions. We are having fun here and looking forward to about 20 more gallons of syrup. 20 gallons is our record and we would like about 25 this year.
Take care and good luck to all

Al
04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Well I'm hanging in there with the Dark Amber. Never have done much of it. It seems to taste sweeter to me. What about you guys? Well going out the door to gather. Would like to get some cold weather here pretty quick. Feels way to much like spring!
Take care,

Al
04-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Well did some sugar content checks an you have to wonder how a small woodlot like mine can vary so much. The lower half is 1.8% and the upper half 2.5%. If this weather keeps up I may gather from the upper half first. Check my sugar content to make sure it stays good. Then gather what I need for a good boil down below. I know it sounds funny but at 15-20 gallons an hour evaporation rate I don't need to be out there all night boiling water.
One other thing I've learned this year is when I reach 5 an then have to boil another hour to get to 7 I pull it and finish off on my finish rig. The syrup seems to have a less sweet taste and a more maple taste this way. Just observations from a backyard sugarmaker.
Take care,

Daren
04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Al, my syrup is running darker this year also. Last run I bottled up was closer to the "B" than the dark amber. I had a marathon boil on Monday that I have yet to bottle up due to work, but that looks to grade out at B also. The first big boil yielded only one gallon on 60 gallons of sap. That has gotten much better, but with that one the grade was better....go figure. I am pretty much out of sugaring wood and will have to raid the good hardwood from the house supply. Oh well.....at least it is for a good cause. I am up to about 6 gallons so far, made 12 last year and can not see it running long enough to get back to that. It has been a pretty slow season. Largest gather was 57 gallons on 88 taps. Heck...I gathered up 45 gallons on 63 taps one day last year.

Al
04-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Daren, don't give up the ghost!! I think that we have a few more good runs left yet. I'm going to clean my evaporator and tanks to get ready.
We've made 9 gallons so far this year and your right. It didn't take long to get to dark color. Last weekend I gathered alot of sap but with the low sugar content I boiled a long time. You still need to get over here. Maybe we can coordinate something with Ryun.
Take care

Daren
04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey Al. I have to get up your way soon to see your evap. I am looking into upgrading for next year and something like you have is pretty attractive at this point. This 6 to 7 gph is going to be the death of me yet. I am up to about 7 gallons or a little better now...not exactly sure as I have a batch to bottle tonight. My sap cleared up nicely yesterday and should be running to beat the band today. PM me some directions and an idea of which days or times I am most likely to catch you at the sugar house. Say hello to Ryan for me. I dont hear or see him much since he left the hospital.

Al
04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Well sap ran today. Checked the sugar content.It was between 2.2 and 2.8%. Going to gather and boil tomorrow night. Gathered around 90 gallons today. Looks like it's going to be a good week.
Take care,

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Al,

How much you up to and do you still have 140 taps??

Al
04-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Brandon, yes we still have a 140 taps and room for about 15 more. We've made 10 gallons so far from a med amber to dark. The first boil after the cold snap seems to be producing a lighter grade. I'm going to finish off tomorrow so I'll know then. My 2 x 5 1/2 seems to be about at its max capacity keeping it stock. We figured we do about 15-17 gallons an hour on average. I thought about a blower but like to listen to the evaporator as it runs. It's better then music to me. The boys are really getting into this year and it really makes it alot more fun except for the food bill!!
Take care,

Daren
04-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Hey Al...Do you have a hood with preheater? I would think you would be a bit closer to what I hear those folks with 2x6's are getting. I hear most of those are getting 25 to 28 gallons per hour with some quite a lot higher than that. Even with that said...your 17 gallons per hour sure looks good to me with my 6 or 7. you are probably boiling as I type this. I wish I had time to get up there while you are fired. I would love to see that setup run. Got any pics of it in action this year? -D-

SteveD
04-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Daren...I am using a Dominion & Grimm 2x6 this year that I bought new from D&G in Fairfax. It is set up just the way it came from the factory...no preheater or blower. I am consistently getting 30 to 32 gph with only so-so wood (basically, a mix of dead hard and soft wood trees culled from the sugarbush).

When I bought it, they told me I'd get at least 30 gph and I was skeptical... However, they were right on. Also, they have been great to work with...today, they even replaced a 0 to50 draw off thermometer that I stupidly broke by dropping it on the cement floor... for free.
-Steve

Daren
04-13-2007, 10:09 PM
That is moving some sap! Man I need to upgrade something fierce. I looked at the pics for 2007....they are really great. The filter board looks interesting. Is that an ozone deal on that board for bacteria elimination? What kind of pressure do you need to pass the sap through the cartridge filter? I have one that I was wanting to use for next year, but I was afraid with just head pressure that I could have some flow problems. Who runs that D&G place in Fairfax? Is that near the buyers digest?

SteveD
04-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Is that an ozone deal on that board for bacteria elimination? What kind of pressure do you need to pass the sap through the cartridge filter? I have one that I was wanting to use for next year, but I was afraid with just head pressure that I could have some flow problems. Who runs that D&G place in Fairfax? Is that near the buyers digest?

The vertical tube is an ultraviolet light sanitizer I got off ebay that can work well up to 10 gpm. I'm using 10 and 20 micron filters in the Culligan filter and I did have a problem moving sap at first with a small 1/6 hp in-line electric pump. But to be honest, I think that had more to do with the fact that I was pumping the sap through the filter board ....and then on up to the feed tank which is 9 feet high. Now I use a little Honda 1" gas pump and it sends the sap through everything great at 8 to 10 gpm.

The guy in charge of the fairfax office of D&G is Benoit (Ben) Pepin and he (as well as all the rest of them there) have been a great help. They are located in a small industrial park off 104A only about 1 mile off I-89. The address is 164 Yankee Road, Fairfax. I'm sorry I don't know where Buyer's Digest is located.

Sorry I didn't have more photos of the evaprator in the '07 album...I'll be putting some more in there shortly.

-Steve

HanginAround
04-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Nice pics!

SteveD
04-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks Pete...we just have a little thing going here. But we have fun.

Al
04-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Well I think the fat lady has sung in Pumpkin Village. Sap has a buddy smell and the last batch of syrup tasted sweeter then normal. 10 1/2 gallons off 140 buckets this year. Not a great year but we'll keep it.
Looks like clean up this weekend. Hope the boys are ready to gather and wash some buckets. :)

Take care,

Mike
03-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Where Are You Al !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mapleman3
03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I see Al on... but no update for 08.... AL ???????????????????????

Al
03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm here but not alot of time. We're ready and boiled yesterday. Started a new job 3 months ago and every day is pretty full. We're down to 122 buckets but no funding right now for maple.
Boys are growing fast and have been alot of help. No improvements this year!
Have to go. Good Luck to all.

mapleman3
03-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Glad to see you back Al... I knew if I hollared for ya you'd answer ;)

The picture looked great by the way.. the boys are growing up.. bet they handle the buckets better.. my nine year old can haul pretty good now.. the other two do full five gal buckets.. sure helps a lot!! scaled back a bit eh? thats cool, sometimes ya have to do what ya gotta do right? ... I actually did a few less this year but the sap yield has been double than last year....

Keep us posted on the progress :)

Daren
03-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Sorry to hear that you too are very busy. I am pretty busy these days as well as I am working two jobs. Gotta replace the salary that was lost when my wife left. Glad to hear that you have some taps in though...would not be spring without it!

Al
03-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Gathered 175 gallons last night. Stated at 5:30 and walked out the door a little after midnight with 25 gallons in reserve. Made med amber. tastes good.
Had to gather and boil by myself since the littlest one is sick. Not so much fun when the boys aren't involved. Have alot of sand here to but will rinse out the pans tomorrow. Haven't bottled yet but I figure I have about 4 gallons in the bottler. The most I've ever made in one night. Thank god for coffee laced with maple syrup. Talk about an energy drink.
Maple open house this weekend so time to go out and see how everyone else is doing.
Eerything here in Pumpkin Village is fine. Looking at a wood shed this year and maybe a room for a wood cook stove. Can you imagine the great pizzia or bread that would come out of a woodstove.
Daren give me a call sometime.
Take care

Daren
03-31-2008, 06:31 AM
I will attempt to stop by again this year....not sure when, but I am off for 5 days starting wednesday. Let me know when you will be around and I will give it a go. Hope for a little more luck this year in finding it although it was a nice ride around. -D-

Al
04-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Well it's snowing today, the eaves are melting and Pumpkin Village is done. We made 11 gallons total. Not a great year but average. Finished at a dark amber. Sugar content is so low that with my small rig I'll be boiling for hours to get B grade.
Had a good year but need a easier way to dump buckets. My trailor it high and with a square tank your dumping almost over your head every time. I'll have to come up with something else.
Not alot of company this year and didn't have my brother-in-law to fire this year. Had a great time thou. Still thinking about putting a wood shed on the sugar house. No major upgrades. Just a few more buckets. If our season stays this short I might as well drown in sap the few times that it really runs.
Have a great day!

Al
05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Well we're finally cleaned up. New job,long hours are not the best setting to be in. Want to add an extension to the sugar house and the boys want a loft in the middle room. Buying 30-40 more buckets for next year. With only really four good runs it's time to drown in sap or keep waiting for 60 gallons at a time.
This year was a totally Pumpkin Village run season. No extra help. The boys are growing into the fun as long as I keep them fed. Not an easy feat anymore.
We made 12 gallons this year and our taste was outstanding. No fancy but finished at a dark amber when my sugar content went to about 1.2 percent.
With a small rig its just not worth it.
All helpers recieved promotions this year and are looking forward to new job assingments next season.
Take care,

Haynes Forest Products
05-10-2008, 07:33 PM
AL
If your getting tired of lifting buckets up high to fill the sap hauler set up a small tank with a 12 volt sump pump in it that fills the big tank. I saw a few of these on rigs in the area and they work sweet. look for a 10 gallon tank and mount it low so dumping buckets is a breeze for a transfer pump you can use a 12volt emergency sump pump or a bilge pump from a boat. if you use the sump pit type with the float on it as you fill the sump tank it will auto fill and you wont burn up the pump. Kids can help collect and dump buckets. Google BUR CAM and you will find 12 volt sump pit pums with auto switches 1200 per hr. With a few quick disconects you can switch it around and fill bulk tanks using the same pump.

Daren
05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Glad to hear you had a normal year Al. I was a little bummed by my runs this year, but you gotta take what you get with this stuff. I really enjoyed the new evaporator and actually sold a little syrup this year...a first for me as I usually give it to the folks that show up at the shack. I did not make it up there this season, but I will this summer. As a matter of fact, I drove by pumpkin village road a few days back when I was out that way for a medical examiner call. Though of stopping in, but figured you might not be home during the midday. What is your new schedule like? I would like to see your operations...kinda see what I need to add to mine!

Al
05-24-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm home most days after 1500. Stop on by. If you give me a heads up I might even have some cold drinks on hand. Haven't even started cutting wood yet. I have all my sugar wood ready but not the house wood. Must be something going on there. After you see my operation you'll think your's is a Hilton Hotel. Looking for 30 more aluminum buckets for next year.
Come on by.