PDA

View Full Version : Leaky saddles

pls009
03-10-2016, 08:21 AM
I have a few saddles that no matter what I do, they still have a small air leak - I have tried different brands and tried multiple solutions. I think the problem must stem from when I drilled the hole - it must be out of shape or something. I think I'm going to just try making a new hole in the mainline and try it over. My question - Do I need to buy the fancy plug type saddle that they sell or can I just wrap duct or electrical tape over the existing hole to close that off? Wondering what you do and what works? When I take the saddle off and put my hand over the hole, it doesn't make a sound so I know where the leak is coming from - some friends suggested that maybe the saddle wasn't actually leaking and that the leak was further up the lateral but that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for your advice!

unc23win
03-10-2016, 08:59 AM
I use electrical tape if I remove a saddle duct tape breaks down fast and is harder to remove. Depending on the saddle brand it could be the size of the hole or the clamps or ties could be a little tighter (sometimes very little) if you squeeze more with channel locks.

VT_K9
03-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Sometimes the hole can get out of round depending on expansion and contraction of the mainline or if you added tension after drilling the hole. I have had great luck with the CDL Maxflow saddle using a screw to tighten the saddle in place. This year I decided to start using wire tires on either side when I replace ones which may have started leaking because of tension or angle of tension on the line. Overall I am happy with these saddles and plan to continue to use them.

Try shifting the saddle on the mainline and holding it in place to see if you can stop the leak. This is what I found on a few and what got me to use the wire tires in addition to the screws.

Mike

Burnt sap
03-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Are they old? If so a new gasket will help or solve the problem. Gaskets only last a few years and crack dry rot Ect,Ect.

DoubleBrookMaple
03-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Also, make sure it absolutely is the saddle. I spent a long time on one I heard leaking, tried replacing, drilled a new hole and covered the old with electrical tape. New hole, no help... I had checked the lateral and taps 2-3 times and eventually found a tap sucking air, and no sap at all. I only found it when I raised the lateral to see air entering at the tee from the drop. I capped the drop, and problem fixed.
Let us know what happens..

JoeJ
03-11-2016, 05:16 AM
I don't want to sound condescending, but are you placing the gasket into the hole before you put the saddle in place?

Joe

pls009
03-12-2016, 07:15 AM
Also, make sure it absolutely is the saddle. I spent a long time on one I heard leaking, tried replacing, drilled a new hole and covered the old with electrical tape. New hole, no help... I had checked the lateral and taps 2-3 times and eventually found a tap sucking air, and no sap at all. I only found it when I raised the lateral to see air entering at the tee from the drop. I capped the drop, and problem fixed.
Let us know what happens..

Update: What a learning experience for this first timer. I was wrong, saddles didn't end being the problem. I had two cracked taps in the tree and a hollow tree. I just couldn't believe that the saddle would make so much noise but I could't hear any noise on the lateral. I ended up having to put my ear next to each tap to figure this out. I now feel that leak detection takes more time than running the lines! Thanks so much for the advice on this.

DoubleBrookMaple
03-12-2016, 07:20 AM
Great!
Glad you found them. I spent a long time trying to fix mine, as the saddle and main were the only place I could hear it. The tap was quiet. Just lots of air coming internally from the tree I think.

Russell Lampron
03-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Vacuum leaks are more easily seen than heard. Look for sap racing in the laterals and if it is you have a leak. To find manifold leaks look for frost on the manifold and mainline. I also find it helpful to have a squirt bottle of water to spray on the manifold. If it starts to squeal you found your leak. Sometimes you can see or feel sap around where the manifold goes into the mainline too. You will get better at finding leaks with practice.