PDA

View Full Version : Any Tricks For Finding Hidden Plugs In 3/16" Saplines?

Cedar Eater
03-09-2016, 09:16 PM
I have one sapline that quit flowing today after I tried to clear some visible sawdust plugs in drop tubes. I cut the tubes free and shook the sawdust out, but it lost the vacuum or plugged somewhere else and the flow from all the other trees stopped. Any tricks to find or clear blockages?

n8hutch
03-09-2016, 09:24 PM
You can start at your collection point pulling taps walking up your line, if you pull the tap & it drains your plug is above that T fitting. If your getting no sap at all my Bet would be that your plug is close to the end of the line.

Cedar Eater
03-09-2016, 10:35 PM
You can start at your collection point pulling taps walking up your line, if you pull the tap & it drains your plug is above that T fitting. If your getting no sap at all my Bet would be that your plug is close to the end of the line.

If I pull the spile, I'll have to put it back in again. It would be good to avoid that, wouldn't it? If I cut on the downstream side of the tees, I could go right to the second tee and work up from there. If the first tee is the only one plugged, I'll eliminate all of the rest. Am I mis-thinking that?

n8hutch
03-10-2016, 04:55 AM
Only problem with that is you either have to replace your T fitting or put a connecter in or try to get the tubing off your T without Damaging it , which is hard to do, all of these scenarios have the opportunity for more leaks. I personally would think it would be easier to pop the tap out real quick and easy.then tap ithe back in.

mellondome
03-10-2016, 07:10 AM
Look at each drop line, starting at the bottom, and see which one is not flowing. You should be able to see the flow without removing any taps on good run days

pls009
03-10-2016, 08:27 AM
Ditto what Mellondome said - I had three plugged saddles on second year tubing. I wish I would have found them sooner because I missed some good sap due to the plugs. I just followed the lines to where the sap was no longer moving. On all the up hill side I could see some slime build up on the up hill side of the tee. I took it apart and cleaned it out with a nail. I didn't have any extra tees nearby or would have replaced the tee. I would have never discovered this if I wouldn't have walked the lines because the lower trees were running so I was getting sap to the barrel and didn't realize that I had a problem.

Look at each drop line, starting at the bottom, and see which one is not flowing. You should be able to see the flow without removing any taps on good run days

n8hutch
03-10-2016, 08:35 AM
If you have no sap flow at all then you have to do something to get it moving, are you guys running 3/16? U can't look at anything to see what's flowing and what's not if you have 0 flow, these 3/16 lines will just sit there full of sap they will not drain .

johnallin
03-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Today while out pulling soft maple taps and looking over my 3/16 tube I noticed about half a dozen "T"s blocked by drill shavings. All were near the end of the line suggesting they had washed downstream until there was too much to fit through the fitting. They blocked the fitting solid.

This is my first year with any kind of tube, and I'm thinking I need to be more careful when tapping to be sure the hole is free of chips. I know with my bags chips will just blow right through, tube is not the case. Not small tube anyway.
Glad I went out and looked as my sugars are still tight and some were dripping - still clear and no bad taste.

n8hutch
03-19-2016, 07:29 PM
I have had a few tees get plugged myself. I still like the 3/16 tubing though. I have had sap runs for 3 days w/o a freeze.

325abn
03-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Are you guys using tapping bits?

n8hutch
03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Are you guys using tapping bits?sure am 19/64ths per the CDL catalog.

johnallin
03-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Are you guys using tapping bits?

Yes, I use a tapping bit from Leader.. It's just carelessness on my part- not checking after I've drilled.