PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy sap

ajambura
03-09-2016, 05:11 PM
If sap is slightly cloudy can it still be used.

happy thoughts
03-09-2016, 05:47 PM
You can certainly try. Is it cloudy because it's old or cloudy because it might be buddy? The only way to know for sure is to boil it and taste it. You might want to keep it separated from your good stuff until you know for sure.

ajambura
03-09-2016, 08:28 PM
It's only two days old but it's been in the 60's the last few days.

saphound
03-09-2016, 09:28 PM
If it's a little cloudy it needs to be boiled ASAP...or refrigerate or freeze it. Again, think of it as milk. Would you drink milk thats been sitting out for days? Fresh milk sitting out at 60 degrees.. after 1, maybe 2 at the very most, you'd throw it out. So, yes it can still be used, just don't wait 'till the weekend.. unless you can keep it cold or frozen.

slammer3364
03-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Yes I just got done boiling. Cant keep it in this weather,find a building that gets little sun and pack snow around your containers if you have snow.I took vacation day just to get rid of it.. Good Luck

DaveB
03-10-2016, 07:38 AM
If it's a little cloudy it needs to be boiled ASAP...or refrigerate or freeze it. Again, think of it as milk. Would you drink milk thats been sitting out for days? Fresh milk sitting out at 60 degrees.. after 1, maybe 2 at the very most, you'd throw it out. So, yes it can still be used, just don't wait 'till the weekend.. unless you can keep it cold or frozen.

I wouldn't drink raw milk that has been left out for several days but it's a different story if I boiled it for several hours.

Cloudy sap might make dark syrup but I've also made good tasting dark syrup from cloudy sap before. You have to be careful though to not let it spoil too far because it can become ropey and then it's nasty!

cfenton86
03-10-2016, 11:04 AM
What about sap in the evaporator that has been boiled but not finished? Does that need to be keep cool as well? This is my first year with flue pan and I'm wondering if I should completely drain the pans and finish on my propane set-up or let it set until I get more sap to boil.

DaveB
03-10-2016, 01:05 PM
What about sap in the evaporator that has been boiled but not finished? Does that need to be keep cool as well? This is my first year with flue pan and I'm wondering if I should completely drain the pans and finish on my propane set-up or let it set until I get more sap to boil.

It really shouldn't sit for more than a couple of days. You can heat it up every few days if you need to.

At the end of the season, drain it off and finish it elsewhere. I usually get another 5-7 gallons from the sweet in my evaporator.

cfenton86
03-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks Dave

Burnt sap
03-10-2016, 02:22 PM
In short yes. I do the same as Dave, I love the taste of dark syrup and it makes great BBQ sauce too I'd keep it for my own use.