PDA

View Full Version : Trees have stalled out

Gissert
03-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Pulled 140 off 170 taps Sunday and Monday. Finished 3.75 gallons of lovely light amber last night. Very little niter in the filters or in the big pan. Got another 75 yesterday. I went to check the trees this morning and flow has ceased. It was 30 degrees, and is hanging at 28 now. Was hoping for a harder freeze, but hopefully they will start again. Nice clear sap, and no sign of buds on the sugars I have tapped in central Ottertail County.

Joeyhowe
03-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Pulled 140 off 170 taps Sunday and Monday. Finished 3.75 gallons of lovely light amber last night. Very little niter in the filters or in the big pan. Got another 75 yesterday. I went to check the trees this morning and flow has ceased. It was 30 degrees, and is hanging at 28 now. Was hoping for a harder freeze, but hopefully they will start again. Nice clear sap, and no sign of buds on the sugars I have tapped in central Ottertail County.

Trees completely shut off in the southern part of centeral mn. Check the drop lines yesterday and nothing in all 20 taps. No freeze in sight thinking this might be the end. Still gonna leave the taps out for awhile and see what happens. Got 1 gallon of syrup so far. Hope that's enough to get me through till next season.

lindnova
03-10-2016, 07:35 AM
I pulled some taps that had buddy tasting sap, but I still had three trees producing yesterday. The one tree has 3 taps and produced about 3 gallons yesterday. The other 2 less than 1/2.

Gissert
03-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Hoping for the best here. Its been below 30 for the last 36 hours, and a lot of that was at 27 or 28 degrees. My outside hose was froze tight this morning. If the sun comes out again this afternoon they should run again. All the sap thus far has been super clear.