PDA

View Full Version : Taps in Goshen and a search for a stove detective

jbliss
03-09-2016, 01:35 PM
I tapped about 25 trees this year. A nearby friend tapped 10. All on metal buckets, variety of taps. Tapped about February 10. Concerned I am at end of season already. Very warm today and no freeze for next 5 days it looks like. Your thoughts?
Also; I started using a new (old) rig and wanted to know who might be able to ID it for me? Guessing it is at least 40 years old. I can supply a picture if you have an eye for this sort of thing.
Thanks,
Jbliss

johnpma
03-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Sap was flowing this morning in Chesterfield The overnight temp was in the low 40's My sap temp this morning was 38 degrees Gonna let it run this week and boil on the weekend and see. We still have nights in the 30's and 40's in the future forecast Did a small batch boil last night in an effort to preserve the sap I have collected

Post pic I'll take a shot at it

johnpma
03-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Checked my stored sap this morning it was 48 degrees I froze water filled soda bottles overnight and put them in the sap to help preserve it......I think I'm about done after this weekend:cry:

bigschuss
03-11-2016, 10:19 AM
I tapped about 25 trees this year. A nearby friend tapped 10. All on metal buckets, variety of taps. Tapped about February 10. Concerned I am at end of season already. Very warm today and no freeze for next 5 days it looks like. Your thoughts?
Also; I started using a new (old) rig and wanted to know who might be able to ID it for me? Guessing it is at least 40 years old. I can supply a picture if you have an eye for this sort of thing.
Thanks,
Jbliss

I've over in Savoy and yes, things have slowed. The 10 day forecast doesn't look all that great. Anything could happen. I normally boil well into April on an average year. This year things were early by a full month. If it cools down in a few weeks and we get classic mid to late March highs and lows things might pick up again.

I generally don't throw in the towel until I hear the first turkey gobble. :)

jbliss
03-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Sap was flowing this morning in Chesterfield The overnight temp was in the low 40's My sap temp this morning was 38 degrees Gonna let it run this week and boil on the weekend and see. We still have nights in the 30's and 40's in the future forecast Did a small batch boil last night in an effort to preserve the sap I have collected

Post pic I'll take a shot at it

Here is one pic. I will attach another too. Large files.

jbliss
03-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Here is one pic. I will attach another too. Large files.

Another picture of old evaporator