PDA

View Full Version : One more boil

SugaringRook
03-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Hello all, I'm a second year rook. I did an intro in the newbie thread. This is a total addiction. Wow!
Noticed a really small amount of cloudiness in the sap, but I could still see the bottom of my 5 gallon storage buckets. Is that bad or tolerable for home use?
I put my storage buckets inside my pond to keep them cold. My neighbors think I'm nuts. Lol. Anyhow you guys and gals are great! What a great adventure!

Sunny
03-09-2016, 10:20 AM
I have been wracking my brain to think how I can keep my sap cool...my pond! Thanks so much for the idea!
I am a rookie, too, and totally obsessed!
Thanks for the inspiration.

Sunny
24 taps on 12 fabulous trees

lafite
03-09-2016, 10:29 AM
I used a local liquor store's beer cooler to store my buckets of "sweet" between boils. no snow cover in southern CT this year...

saphound
03-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Hello all, I'm a second year rook. I did an intro in the newbie thread. This is a total addiction. Wow!
Noticed a really small amount of cloudiness in the sap, but I could still see the bottom of my 5 gallon storage buckets. Is that bad or tolerable for home use?
I put my storage buckets inside my pond to keep them cold. My neighbors think I'm nuts. Lol. Anyhow you guys and gals are great! What a great adventure!

That faint cloudiness should be fine. Boil away..and smell the steam as it gets to nearup..it should have that sweet sweet smell. ;)

SugaringRook
03-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Okay thanks. I'm boiling on Friday. Can't get enough of it. I know I'll be going at it harder in the next couple of years. Sunny I was also wondering what I was going to do with my sap. Then I fell right in it! Lol

Eds Constructors
03-09-2016, 07:37 PM
You should win an award for that one-lol started pulling taps for lack of cold storage here in CNY will lose all snow after tomorrow. Pond is GREAT IDEA! Thanks for the tip. Btw, second "real" year here. Newbie, I love how everyone gets addicted to making syrup, I use it as a sugar replacement in my coffee now! LOVE IT!
Thanks again for the tip!

vinkandy
03-09-2016, 07:52 PM
I made a worm coil this year with 25' of 1/2" copper tubing. I'm pumping water from my creek thru the coil, which is inserted into my 225' gallon tote. The tote is full right now with a bit of cloudyness. Hoping to push it to a Saturday boil.

SugaringRook
03-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Thanks Eds. Historically I've never won many awards, so thanks for the nomination. Hoping the muskrats stay off my buckets. Every tree hanging bucket has been cloudy. So I'm guessing it's over for me here in NE Ohio. Andy that's a great idea. I have a few springs that I could use. Going for tubing next season. So that may be an idea for my storage tank. Any worries with the copper?
Have to say that the member's pics of sugar shacks and the smiles on their faces is what its all about. Sitting with the wife and kids watching steaming pans makes for a great weekend. I find myself now eyeing my neighbors maple trees. Might have to ask next year.

scottdevine
03-10-2016, 11:44 AM
i enjoy reading all the posts as i too just completed my first season, and feel as though i could have written all the posts in this thread (and many others) as i feel the exact same way. Its so amusing, how like minded people all feel the same way and write similar posts. I just finished my last boil and will bottle tonight my last 2 gallons of syrup. I got through 985 gallons of sap, yielding about 15-17 gallons of syrup. Learned A LOT, and am very much ready for next season, but will enjoy the time off gardening and bee keeping.