PDA

View Full Version : Depth of sap in pan

CAP
03-09-2016, 07:26 AM
I'm boiling for the first time on a real continuous flow pan. Its a 2x3 from Mason. What depth do you try to keep the say at in the pan? From picts I have looked at it looks like I need to try and keep the pan about 1/2 full?? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

smokeyamber
03-09-2016, 07:55 AM
1 1/2 to 2" if you are starting out and do not have a float box was what I ran. I still run around that depth with a float box when I am being relaxed, but will try and drop to 1" when I am more focused. If you run low keep a bucket of sap handy in case you need it in a hurry.

Have fun !

Russell Lampron
03-09-2016, 08:08 AM
While you are sweetening the pan don't be afraid to run it at 1" but once you start making syrup increase that to 1 1/2" to be safe. Once you get to know the rig you will be able to experiment a little and find the depth where you get the best evaporation rate without burning the pan.

DMF
03-09-2016, 09:10 AM
I have a 2x4 set up from NH. The builder told me to run it at 3" which I did all day last Saturday. Sunday a local maple guy came over and had me lower it to 1 1/2" to 2" max and we boiled a whole lot better!

maple flats
03-09-2016, 12:12 PM
When I had a 2x3 I ran it 1.25-1.5"

Urban Sugarmaker
03-09-2016, 12:43 PM
On my Mason 2x4 I run 1" and sometimes a little less. I find 2" is just too deep. Also, it's helpful to be consistent so your gradient doesn't get messed up.

slammer3364
03-09-2016, 09:55 PM
I have a 18x 48 and use to run @ 1 inch to spooky I now boil @ 2 inches and find it actually boils better

sap seeker
03-10-2016, 05:51 AM
2" until you get comfortable with the new unit Chuck, then a little lower, you can use a clean twig to monitor amongst the steam or even use the thermometer port as a reference. You will put quite a few gallons through it before you see near syrup, drain those small amounts into a pot as it gets close on temp. ! stockpile, and then finish the whole bunch on a clam cooker. Can't wait to see the new rig in action.

GotSap?
03-10-2016, 11:14 AM
I run between 3/4 - 1". I use a stainless steel bolt as a guide. Thread a nut on then a washer, another nut, another washer, etc.., then stand up in the corner of draw off box. Washers act like graduations on a scale. Very easy to see when you have a good boil going.

Jolly Acres Farm
03-11-2016, 06:47 AM
I have a Mason 2x4 Xl with blower. I run it at 3/4 inch deep while tending it. When my wife is "tending it"(not paying as close attention as I do) I set her up to run at 1 1/4-1 1/2 deep for an extra margin of error. I have made sap and syrup depth gauges for the different heights that I place in the draw off boxes on both sides, these work very well. I hope this helps.

steve J
03-11-2016, 07:47 AM
I have boiled on both a 2x3 and a 2x4 from Mason. And like stated above start out at 1.5 until your use to it but to get a good boil rate you really need to be in the 3/4 " area but when you draw off don't open the draw off wide or you will burn pan let it out slowly! I love that stainless bolt idea from above.

billyinvt
03-11-2016, 08:15 AM
While you are sweetening the pan don't be afraid to run it at 1" but once you start making syrup increase that to 1 1/2" to be safe. Once you get to know the rig you will be able to experiment a little and find the depth where you get the best evaporation rate without burning the pan.
I second this. Sweeten the pan shallow, and deepen it very gradually when you're ready to start drawing off. Unless it's an emergency, DRAW OFF SLOWLY to maintain depth, gradient, and boil.