PDA

View Full Version : Well that was predictable

Cedar Eater
03-08-2016, 07:40 PM
I received some new tubing supplies today and even though I'm in the middle of a run I went out and tapped 16 more trees and put them on a brand spankety new 3/16" sapline with a 30' drop to an inadequate collection vessel. I don't want to make more than seven gallons of syrup this year, but I do want to make at least five and the weather is looking so iffy that I'm willing to risk getting inundated. So I'm looking at visiting this four gallon glaze bucket sometime later tonight while boiling what I got from my 7 tap "experimental" sapline today. I really need to get some foodsafe barrels and maybe a vacuum guage or two. Meanwhile, my 28 reds on gravity are either still waking up or just not giving it up this year.

psparr
03-08-2016, 08:31 PM
You'll be emptying that bucket a couple times a day. Good luck!

Cedar Eater
03-08-2016, 09:30 PM
You'll be emptying that bucket a couple times a day. Good luck!

We're already doing that every four hours for the 7-tap line. We're sterilizing a 48 quart Coleman cooler to put out later tonight for the 16-tap line. I'm going to drill a hole in it and set it up on a bench against a tree so we can drain it through the spigot into glaze buckets and gallon jugs.