PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating a Marcland Auto Draw-Off

Bruce L
03-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Is it easy to recalibrate one of these units? I noticed last year that the first day sap was not boiling at 212,syrup tended to come off through the year quite often below 219. I will be boiling though a tub of water tomorrow prior to sap hitting the pans,how do I make sure the water boils at 212?

adk1
03-08-2016, 07:49 PM
U don't. Barametric pressure may change it slightly.

TheMapleMoose
03-09-2016, 05:42 AM
You can check the barometer and make a correction in your drawoff temp, its just a guideline though really. The barometer will likely change as you are boiling, so you'll need to adjust your drawoff temp accordingly. I keep checking my syrup with a hydrometer and adjust the drawoff to adjust the sugar. Maybe other guys make out fine setting and forgetting it, but I find I'm always adjusting it

lpakiz
03-09-2016, 06:23 AM
I don't worry about what the number on the readout says. I start checking well before its syrup, so I don't get any surprises. Then keep checking with the hydrometer and tweek the number on the readout until your spot on.
Yesterday I had it set at 216.1.

Bruce L
03-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks,that's pretty much what I do,once I get set I check with the refractometer every hour throughout the day

Sugarmaker
03-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Bruce,
Your elevation above see level will effe=ct the temp at which water boils.
Water boils a little above 210 at our place.
We make a lot of syrup at 216.5
Sounds like your doing a good job checking the density.
If you question the accuracy of your probe/ system. Get a cup of ice slush and see if the probe reads 32 F.
Regards,
Chris
Then go to boiling water and check temp.
Regards,
Chris