PDA

View Full Version : Tapping trees near/on leech field?

ADK_XJ
03-07-2016, 10:05 PM
A naive question maybe but would there be potential for contamination or ill effects of tapping a couple trees near a leech field? That's actually not the exact scenario I'm in but it's what I'd consider the worst case...

To elaborate, I did some heavy bush-whacking on the Southernmost end of our property this weekend and discovered a pretty decent stand of mostly red but a couple very nice sugar maples along the edge (some even IN) an old pond that abutts our property. I have no clear knowledge of the source of the pond but it is below the grade of a nearby country road and below several houses. I have to imagine some runoff into it or, worst case, at one,time it served as an ad hoc leech field. Hence the title.

So, should I even bother tapping these trees? Trees appear healthy and happy. Could any potential (I simply don't know) chemicals or contaminates filter up into the sap?

11-Nick
03-07-2016, 10:41 PM
How close is the closest house to the pond?
I have a sideline business designing onlot residential septic systems. In this state, there are laws regarding how close a residential septic system can be do property lines, surface water, wells, etc. I can only imagine your state would be the same. Are these houses on a public sewer? If so, I wouldn't be concerned. If their septic systems are 50' or more from the pond, I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure I'd worry unless a system was blatantly dumping into the pond, or was malfunctioning and running into the pond.
If waste water were in the pond, I actually think I'd be more worried about the other stuff in that water more than I'd worry about the concentrations of black water absorbed by the trees. Un-metabolized medications, hormones, vitamins, etc that are excreted by our bodies is pretty amazing. That stuff does far more damage to waterways and aquatic life than black water does.
I know that didn't take the conversation where you were headed. Sorry. But I think it is important just the same.
If you are only worried about black water... I would only be concerned if a system was very close.

DrTimPerkins
03-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Could any potential (I simply don't know) chemicals or contaminates filter up into the sap?

It would depend upon the specific chemicals in question. As far as simple household leachfield effluent.....great fertilizer. If it is downhill from a dry-cleaning facility, or any factory using and dumping volatile chemicals, I'd steer clear. As far as many toxic metals.....trees don't tend to take them up and transport them in their xylem stream.

ADK_XJ
03-08-2016, 06:06 PM
How close is the closest house to the pond?
I have a sideline business designing onlot residential septic systems. In this state, there are laws regarding how close a residential septic system can be do property lines, surface water, wells, etc. I can only imagine your state would be the same. Are these houses on a public sewer? If so, I wouldn't be concerned. If their septic systems are 50' or more from the pond, I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure I'd worry unless a system was blatantly dumping into the pond, or was malfunctioning and running into the pond.
If waste water were in the pond, I actually think I'd be more worried about the other stuff in that water more than I'd worry about the concentrations of black water absorbed by the trees. Un-metabolized medications, hormones, vitamins, etc that are excreted by our bodies is pretty amazing. That stuff does far more damage to waterways and aquatic life than black water does.
I know that didn't take the conversation where you were headed. Sorry. But I think it is important just the same.
If you are only worried about black water... I would only be concerned if a system was very close.

Actually, that's quite helpful - I just hiked up there to take a look and I'd say the closest house is probably 100' away from the pond. The next closest is mine and I'm whatever a linear run of 5 acres would be from it. I highly doubt anyone up this way is on public sewer, we're a good 10 miles outside the city limits.

ADK_XJ
03-08-2016, 06:14 PM
It would depend upon the specific chemicals in question. As far as simple household leachfield effluent.....great fertilizer. If it is downhill from a dry-cleaning facility, or any factory using and dumping volatile chemicals, I'd steer clear. As far as many toxic metals.....trees don't tend to take them up and transport them in their xylem stream.

Thanks, Dr. Perkins — no, this is rural (NY zoned R3) development up our way. No industry of any kind, only well spaced plots from the early 1900s. Our plot is, in fact, what's left of an old 40-50 acre farm that was in operation until the 60s, I believe. But all farm fields would have been downslope of the pond. Only real runoff might be from a County Road going up the mountain into the next town.

Next year, I think I'll plan to tap all but the most directly submerged maples. I also think the pond is running way high right now from all the rain we've had. FWIW, the red maples along this pond have already budded out as of today.

ADK_XJ
03-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Dr. Perkins — no, this is rural (NY zoned R3) development up our way. No industry of any kind, only well spaced plots from the early 1900s. Our plot is, in fact, what's left of an old 40-50 acre farm that was in operation until the 60s, I believe. But all farm fields would have been downslope of the pond. Only real runoff might be from a County Road going up the mountain into the next town.

Next year, I think I'll plan to tap all but the most directly submerged maples. I also think the pond is running way high right now from all the rain we've had. FWIW, the red maples along this pond have already budded out as of today.

Speaking of budded out, may I ask you another question directly Dr. Perkins? Someone else over on the NY Tapping boards responded to my observation of buds with some developed thinking on the difference between the appearance of buds on the trees and occurrence of buddy sap. He mentioned the composition of the buds and how loose they are as a sort of bellwether of how close the trees (at least the Reds) are to budding out...any scientific backup to this thinking? I have no reason not to believe him and lack any experience that would say otherwise.

DrTimPerkins
03-09-2016, 06:27 AM
FWIW, the red maples along this pond have already budded out as of today.

What EXACTLY do you mean by budded out? I hear sugarmakers all the time say that the trees have budded. It seems to mean everything from 1. the trees have buds to 2. the leaves are emerging. Scientifically, there are several stages of "bud" and "leaf" development, ranging from 1. buds in winter condition to 2. leaves fully expanded. Then there are red maple flower and leaf buds and sugar maple flower and leaf buds, and they develop at slightly different rates.

We're working on an article now about bud development and buddy off flavor for "The Maple News." Probably for the April issue.

DrTimPerkins
03-09-2016, 06:29 AM
Speaking of budded out, may I ask you another question directly Dr. Perkins? Someone else over on the NY Tapping boards responded to my observation of buds with some developed thinking on the difference between the appearance of buds on the trees and occurrence of buddy sap. He mentioned the composition of the buds and how loose they are as a sort of bellwether of how close the trees (at least the Reds) are to budding out...any scientific backup to this thinking?

I presented on this at a couple of meetings after the 2012 season where we had very hot weather in March and early budding/leaf out of maple, so perhaps that is what they are referring to. Yes, there is definitely some relationship between bud stage and buddy off-flavor.

ADK_XJ
03-09-2016, 09:58 PM
What EXACTLY do you mean by budded out? I hear sugarmakers all the time say that the trees have budded. It seems to mean everything from 1. the trees have buds to 2. the leaves are emerging. Scientifically, there are several stages of "bud" and "leaf" development, ranging from 1. buds in winter condition to 2. leaves fully expanded. Then there are red maple flower and leaf buds and sugar maple flower and leaf buds, and they develop at slightly different rates.

We're working on an article now about bud development and buddy off flavor for "The Maple News." Probably for the April issue.

I guess I should have said more that I don't know much about budding out. I was originally under the impression that as soon as buds appeared the sap would soon be no-good. That appears (like most things) to be an oversimplification. I'll look for your upcoming article in Maple News on the subject...

I did pull in several gallons of crystal clear sap from two reds that I tapped late last night...and they both have bright pink buds all over them. Live and learn!

ryebrye
03-10-2016, 07:21 AM
I guess I should have said more that I don't know much about budding out. I was originally under the impression that as soon as buds appeared the sap would soon be no-good. That appears (like most things) to be an oversimplification. I'll look for your upcoming article in Maple News on the subject...

I did pull in several gallons of crystal clear sap from two reds that I tapped late last night...and they both have bright pink buds all over them. Live and learn!

If you look closely during the winter time, the trees always have buds.

They have an old field guide for monitoring buds online: https://www.uvm.edu/~entlab/Publications/MapleBudFieldGuide.pdf it has pictures in the back of buds in various stages.

Maybe the buds have elongated already, but I'd be surprised if they have broken (though I'm not familiar with your area. They aren't elongated yet in VT)

DrTimPerkins
03-10-2016, 08:15 AM
... I don't know much about budding out. I was originally under the impression that as soon as buds appeared the sap would soon be no-good.

A tree without buds is either a DEAD tree or a fencepost.

ADK_XJ
03-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Yeesh, should I say once the buds bloom? "Break?"