PDA

View Full Version : Defoamer in a Steam-away

TheMapleMoose
03-07-2016, 02:20 PM
We have a new steam away this year and need some pointers in getting the defoamer in it. I've read it can't go in the float box so we got a dripper to mount in the hood. We boiled with it a week ago and it seemed ok, but the dripper was all coated with oil when we took it out. We thought about mounting it outside the hood but I'm worried about the defoamer not staying liquid enough to drip.

Just wondering how some other guys are doing it, and looking for some pointers on what works the best. Thanks.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2016, 02:58 PM
I put about 6 to 7 drops in mine every 10 minutes.

JoeJ
03-07-2016, 04:19 PM
I have a 3 x 10 with a steam away. After I purchased the steam away, I had trouble with foaming in the syrup pan. Talked to someone at Leader and he told me that for a 3 x 10, EVERY 5 minutes, 5 drops in the back pan float box and 5 drops inside the steam away. Works great and the foam stays under control in the syrup pan.

Joe

TheMapleMoose
03-07-2016, 06:11 PM
I should have clarified. I know how much to use, just wondering what the best method of application is. The door to our steam hood is 7 feet off the floor. Are you guys using a dripper effectively?

upsmapleman
03-07-2016, 06:15 PM
I drilled a hole and mounted a dripper. Fill it up when you start and forget it. You need to mount it toward the front. First I had it 2/3rds back and the front would get foam. Put it in the front and that solved the problem. Never have to add any to the front or back pan.

1arch
03-07-2016, 11:24 PM
I should have clarified. I know how much to use, just wondering what the best method of application is. The door to our steam hood is 7 feet off the floor. Are you guys using a dripper effectively?
We keep a small a step stool beside the arch to reach up and open the door on the steam hood reach in and add a drop or two in the steam away.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-08-2016, 04:51 AM
I dont have a steam away but 3 drips in float and 3 drips in flue pan on side that is feeding syrup pan, NEVER EVER in syrup pan.

TheMapleMoose
03-08-2016, 05:32 AM
I drilled a hole and mounted a dripper. Fill it up when you start and forget it. You need to mount it toward the front. First I had it 2/3rds back and the front would get foam. Put it in the front and that solved the problem. Never have to add any to the front or back pan.

We had considered mounting it outside the hood, but we're worried that the defoamer wouldn't be warm enough to stay in liquid form so it can drip.

I'll probably try it this way. Inside the hood was ok but there is no way to tell if it's working or not. Thanks for the advice

nymapleguy607
03-08-2016, 06:10 AM
If you want to use a dripper to feed the steamaway starting up is the only time the defoamer should be solid, the steamaway will put out a lot of heat and keep the defoamer thawed.

Dale Sparrow
04-14-2017, 07:50 AM
I have a 3 x 10 with a steam away. After I purchased the steam away, I had trouble with foaming in the syrup pan. Talked to someone at Leader and he told me that for a 3 x 10, EVERY 5 minutes, 5 drops in the back pan float box and 5 drops inside the steam away. Works great and the foam stays under control in the syrup pan.

Joe I have a 3x10 thinking about adding a steam away, just wondering what you get for evap rate.

JoeJ
04-14-2017, 04:41 PM
I have a 3x10 thinking about adding a steam away, just wondering what you get for evap rate.
Dale,
I always time my boils and I have a water meter on the sap feed line to the steamaway. I checked my records for 4 or 5 days boiling and the evaporation rate was pretty consistent. My Leader 3x10 is rated at 85 gph. The steamaway brought the evaporation up to 142 -145 gph. 142 - 145 actual gallons of sap fed into the evaporator. So the steamaway added 57 - 60 gph for a few cents worth of electricity.

Joe

mellondome
04-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Dale,
I always time my boils and I have a water meter on the sap feed line to the steamaway. I checked my records for 4 or 5 days boiling and the evaporation rate was pretty consistent. My Leader 3x10 is rated at 85 gph. The steamaway brought the evaporation up to 142 -145 gph. 142 - 145 actual gallons of sap fed into the evaporator. So the steamaway added 57 - 60 gph for a few cents worth of electricity.

Joe
You need to subtract your syrup drawn off for a true evaporation rate.

JoeJ
04-15-2017, 05:45 AM
You need to subtract your syrup drawn off for a true evaporation rate.
All of the 142-145 gph of sap that goes through the sap meter does not evaporate. The evaporator produces 22-25 gph of syrup with the 15% concentrate. However, the evaporator still requires 142-145 gph of sap to run it.