PDA

View Full Version : warm days

maplefarmer
03-07-2016, 07:13 AM
starting today there is not supposed to be a night temp. below freezing until 3-18, will sap run again then, or is that to many days warm temps that it would not run anymore. I realize weather forecasts are not accurate, but it isn't even close to below freezing, talking like 60s and high 40s and 50s ofr lows.

michael marrs
03-07-2016, 07:26 AM
I am looking at the same thing. and wondering how this affects the season, or the end of the season. In a number of days temps look better, so I guess I will keep gathering, and watching the clarity of my sap, It has been a bad year for me, and my ice fishing

BreezyHill
03-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Welcome to farming...the first and only legal form of gamboling in all 50 states

This weather sucks!

Mud season all of March ???

'81 was very similar as I recall and we were all done and cleaning equipment on March 15th.

I fear the season will be done after this current run. Sap coming in at 55 and above usually turns in our tanks and is not worth bothering with.

This season will definitely reduce the carry over supply of Syrup.

sapman
03-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Welcome to farming...the first and only legal form of gamboling in all 50 states

This weather sucks!

Mud season all of March ???

'81 was very similar as I recall and we were all done and cleaning equipment on March 15th.

I fear the season will be done after this current run. Sap coming in at 55 and above usually turns in our tanks and is not worth bothering with.

This season will definitely reduce the carry over supply of Syrup.

I'm with you! Nothing freezing til it'll be too late, I'm afraid, for me. But actually, ending early will be a relief, since my big truck broke down, and now I'm hauling half-loads all the time now with a small truck. Changes my whole outlook on things.

Eds Constructors
03-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Tim I'm right down the road in Hastings, wheres your operation and do you sell locally? Familiar with Fulton, would love to check out a "real" operation sometime. Just started ,2nd year ,graduated from Turkey fryer to barrel stove,would like to know the possibilities? Lmk
Thanks, Ed

sapman
03-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Tim I'm right down the road in Hastings, wheres your operation and do you sell locally? Familiar with Fulton, would love to check out a "real" operation sometime. Just started ,2nd year ,graduated from Turkey fryer to barrel stove,would like to know the possibilities? Lmk
Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed, I'm on Lakeshore Rd., which runs along south side of Lake Neahtawanta. You're welcome anytime! cell #315-591-2308.

sbedilion
03-07-2016, 08:53 PM
I have a few buckets at my inlaws that I cant collect until tomorrow evening after work. Today was 60ish...tomorrow 70. Do you think the sap will be still good? Im boiling Wednesday night but have room for a few buckets in the freezers. Im a newbie so any help is greatly appreciated.

saphound
03-08-2016, 05:38 AM
The general rule is treat it like milk. Keep it cool as possible or it will spoil. I haven't had that happen yet, but I guess you can taste it if it's bad or smell it in the steam. Hard to believe my partially filled buckets were frozen solid two days ago and now I have to worry about sap spoiling. I'll be boiling what I have today.

Eds Constructors
03-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing your operation, when's your next boil?, or are you consistently boiling? Friday I'll be doing an est. in Phoenix? Not too far from you then, lmk.
Thanks Ed