PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer question # 2

Miles M
03-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Hi.. I posted a question a few weeks back asking about reading a Hydrometer.. I followed the instructions that were given on my thread.. As I said.. I'm old school and want to use this new toy the right way round.. I did my first boil and as I'm getting into the syrup.. had my cup and hydrometer warmed and ready.. did my pull at 220 F did the reading and it sunk to the bottom.. did another at 222F and it started to float.. but no red line reading.. syrup was almost 224F when I finally got a red line reading.. the only problem is.. my syrup is pretty heavy.. I cleaned the Hydrometer after each reading.. does the Hydrometer have to be hot to get it to read.. how long to you let it sit in syrup to get a reading.. where did I go wrong.. appreciate the help.. Thank you

adk1
03-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Go by the hydrometer and not the thermometer. It would like u have the right process. Usually if u take your reading within 30 seconds you are fine. If u have a second hydrometer you could compare against each other. Being a little heavy is better than too light

JoeJ
03-07-2016, 04:46 AM
Miles,

What type of thermometer are you using? I don't trust any digital thermometer.

bowhunter
03-07-2016, 06:00 AM
I would trust a certified hydrometer. Make sure you're thermometer isn't touch the bottom of the pan. I drew the first run of the season at 219 to 220 F and it was about 2 brx low. I realized I had the thermocouple just barely touching the bottom of the pan. If I'm careful with the thermocouple I always have syrup at 219 to 220.

Sugarmaker
03-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Two things calibrate the thermometer your using in boiling water or crushed ice/water slush. Both will tell you if you have accurate thermometer. Second make sure your using the upper hot test line on the hydrometer:)
My guess is you thermometer may be off.
Have fun!
Regards,
Chris

donka
03-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Hi.. I posted a question a few weeks back asking about reading a Hydrometer.. I followed the instructions that were given on my thread.. As I said.. I'm old school and want to use this new toy the right way round.. I did my first boil and as I'm getting into the syrup.. had my cup and hydrometer warmed and ready.. did my pull at 220 F did the reading and it sunk to the bottom.. did another at 222F and it started to float.. but no red line reading.. syrup was almost 224F when I finally got a red line reading.. the only problem is.. my syrup is pretty heavy.. I cleaned the Hydrometer after each reading.. does the Hydrometer have to be hot to get it to read.. how long to you let it sit in syrup to get a reading.. where did I go wrong.. appreciate the help.. Thank you

I've had the same problem. When finishing on high heat on Turkey fryer the thermometer can spike well over 220 and and still read under on hydrometer. I've learned to turn the heat down a few notches and check every minute or so with the hydrometer once it starts getting close to finished. I pull off and filter when the mark is a little less than 1 degree from finished. This helps things go through the filter easier and reads right about 67 by the time I bottle. I also fill hydrometer cup once and dump back to preheat, then refill and test. I lower the hydrometer to the red line before letting go so that it doesn't bob under give a false reading. Best of Luck.

maple flats
03-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Before I had a Murphy cup, I filled the hydrometer cup 3 times and dumped it back in, to get it hot. Then I filled the cup and slowly lowered the hydrometer in. If you drop it in, as it hits the bottom you can possibly move the paper that has the scale on it, making the hydrometer inaccurate.

Miles M
03-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Two things calibrate the thermometer your using in boiling water or crushed ice/water slush. Both will tell you if you have accurate thermometer. Second make sure your using the upper hot test line on the hydrometer:)
My guess is you thermometer may be off.
Have fun!
Regards,
Chris

Miles M
03-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Hi.. I posted a question a few weeks back asking about reading a Hydrometer.. I followed the instructions that were given on my thread.. As I said.. I'm old school and want to use this new toy the right way round.. I did my first boil and as I'm getting into the syrup.. had my cup and hydrometer warmed and ready.. did my pull at 220 F did the reading and it sunk to the bottom.. did another at 222F and it started to float.. but no red line reading.. syrup was almost 224F when I finally got a red line reading.. the only problem is.. my syrup is pretty heavy.. I cleaned the Hydrometer after each reading.. does the Hydrometer have to be hot to get it to read.. how long to you let it sit in syrup to get a reading.. where did I go wrong.. appreciate the help.. Thank you[/QUOTE Thanks all for your thoughts.. have recalibrate'd digital and taylor stick thermometers.. I hang my cup over pan so stem can keep it warm and keep hydrometer in hot water.. does this help.. or is there a better way to do this.. going to try again today.. let you know how she goes.. thank you

saphound
03-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Here's another hydrometer question...
How come they always spin around backwards so you can't read the dang numbers.:mad: Was just checking sap from last night and today..every freakin time the numbers would spin away from me! I think they make them that way on purpose somehow...

Edit: And don't say you have to stand on the other side,,,I tried that! :lol:

js4fn
03-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Do have a ladle or skimmer
Notice in picture how hot syrup in sheeting off skimmer better picture using ladle
It sheets off instead of drips leave your breakable glass in box till it starts to sheet then test big time saver less burnt fingers 1366113662

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

js4fn
03-08-2016, 02:44 PM
More examples hard to hold ladle and take picture without dropping phone in syrup lol13663

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miles M
03-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Thank you for the photo..I have a big wooden spoon that I use to card syrup when I think its ready.. this is how I learned to judge as a young lad back on the farm..I bought myself a hydrometer and trying to learn how to use it.. would like to try and keep syrup more consistent.. instead of it being all over the place