PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Lines

LittleGuy
03-10-2007, 06:30 AM
I have never used tubing before, and would like to know how long it takes for the lines to thaw out each day. I know buckets start to run early, but with sap in the lines it freeze's in the line. I put some line up a few days ago, the sap was flowing a little, now the lines are frozen and I'm going to miss alot of sap if it don't thaw for a couple of days. High for today is 5 C.

mountainvan
03-10-2007, 06:49 AM
By the time the trees thaw enough to start to flow your tubing will be thawed too, unless you have some running in a cold spot, ie under pine trees.

3% Solution
03-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Little guy,
Don't worry, it will be fine.
Think about this, the tree has to thaw out before the sap can run.
The air temperature will be warmer and will melt the sap in the tubing before the tree reaches 32 degrees.
If your tubing is in the sun, the warmth from the sun will melt it, so your tubing will be ok.
I like to have a good pitch to my tubing so all the sap runs out, I have a gravity system, I also have 1/2" main line which helps.
Yesterday it was 24 degrees (air temperture), 42 in the sun, and the sap was melting in the line because of the sun's warmth.
Let nature do it's thing, you'll be fine.

Dave

brookledge
03-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree. By the time the tree begins to run the sap in the tubing is already thawed enough to flow. I have seen where tubing burried under snow will not thaw out so I watch for that otherwise I don't worry.
Keith