PDA

View Full Version : Would you tap this?

Cedar Eater
03-06-2016, 04:20 PM
This is the only tree that I have that looks like this.

MidMichMaple
03-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Heck yeah I would. I bet that would be a productive tree.

Galena
03-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Hellya. Just one word of advice: try to not tap below a burl if possible. My best tree is similar to that one, and it's a machine. Scroll through my gallery (not the link below) and look for #6.

adk1
03-06-2016, 05:23 PM
For sure I would. I agree maybe stay away from the burl

Cedar Eater
03-06-2016, 06:16 PM
I checked out your #6 tree, Galena and it eased my mind. I'll have to get a pic of where I tapped my tree. I got good white/yellow wood when I drilled it. My wife took one look at it and said, "That doesn't look like a maple and even if it is, are you sure it's safe?" I had to admit that it didn't look like any of our other maples or any of our other trees. I don't know what caused it to grow like that. It must have been in a clearing when it was little.

BlueberryHill
03-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Cut the pine or whatever it is right next to it! That'll get you better sap next year.

MaxJ
03-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Sure I'd tap it in a heart beat. What side (direction) are the pines sitting? It'd be a shame to have to cut the left one down if it was shading the maple too much.

Cedar Eater
03-06-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm looking at the tree from pretty much directly south of it, so the left evergreen is SSW and the right is SE. I think they are both balsam firs and I have a bazillion of those, so no big sacrifice if I take them out. This is the first year that I'm tapping any trees in that section. I hadn't really considered steps to promote the maple yet, but I think cutting them out is likely to happen.

Cedar Eater
03-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Here's a pic of where I tapped it. It's more than a meter below an old healed-over lost branch. It was good white wood on the drill bit and it seems to be running clear.

It looks like I'm going to have to be careful where I tap in future years. There are burls everywhere.

DuncanFTGC/SS
03-08-2016, 10:43 AM
I do not see any reason to not tap a tree like that. How does the sap measure out for sugar and volume? I would be curious to keep track of that tree, just due to it being different.

Cedar Eater
03-08-2016, 11:11 AM
How does the sap measure out for sugar and volume?

I wouldn't know how to measure either of those for a tree that's included in a sapline. I wouldn't want to not include it because reds are so finicky on gravity alone and this run might be getting some natural vacuum.