PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer stem

Craig M
03-06-2016, 10:33 AM
My new A&A 2x6 has a port for the thermometer near the draw off valve that is angled downward. It's designed for a 9" stem. Because of this only the lower portion of the stem is submerged in sap. Is this accurate or should the whole stem be covered for best results?

western mainer
03-06-2016, 11:04 AM
You will be fine, that's the way they are all made.
Brian

Craig M
02-12-2017, 05:44 AM
Update. Last night I was calibrating my thermometer and noticed it only seems accurate when there is about 3" of the stem submerged in boiling water. Coincidentally, there are a pair of small dimples pressed on the stem about 2⅞ from the tip. When I hold the stem under boiling water up to or further than those dimples it stays right at zero. When I expose more of the stem (even a ¹/⁴") the temp drops. It is a Marcland thermometer. Are there brands that are better? I really don't feel like running 3" deep.

maple flats
02-12-2017, 08:31 AM
At the angle the stem is going into the pan, it will only need to be 1" deep to have 3" submerged. Just make sure the tip does not touch the bottom. It needs to be a tiny bit off the bottom or the reading will be wrong. I have mine (2 auto draw temp probes) so they are about 1/16-1/8" off the bottom. That works fine.