PDA

View Full Version : How does the sap flow go?

MaplePancakeMan
03-09-2007, 11:19 PM
3-9-07 High was 23 and sunny, most of my trees started running, all tinted trees were snapped back into a clear flow now! Makes me happy. Last week i collected saturday evening and i guess they ran most of sunday before the week of deep freeze almost all of my buckets are 4-5 gallon cubes hoping that the cubes thaw a bit otherwise i'll have a bunch of cubes to melt out and they really suck to get out of the buckets, There is no real good way to get them out is there? i've used a thing kinda like a slim jim for unlocking car doors to pull and losen ice blocks. The next 10 days appear to be in the mid to upper 40's / lower fifties and lows between 25 and 34. I'm hoping for a tremendous run during my week of spring break. Wish me luck and i wish you all the best of luck with the current sap weather!

jdj
03-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Best of luck to you maplepancakeman. Hopefully mother nature is cooperative and gives us all a good season.

Leader 3x10 drop flue
wood fired
steamaway
1100-1300 buckets
AC 180 diesel

ibby458
03-10-2007, 05:31 AM
I start tapping today, and hope to finish by tomorrow night. Hope we ALL get good runs!

RUSTYBUCKET
03-10-2007, 08:57 PM
MPM,

I'm across the river from you and we didn't get a drop today?? Hoping the next few days will give us something to run through the evaporator. We are way below syrup production as compared to this time last year. Good luck.

Russ

danno
03-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Steady stream of sap by early afternoon today - all covering my nice 100 gallon sapcube sitting frozen in my bulk tank. Just about done plumbing the releaser into the pump. Will be cranking the vacuum up for the first time tomorrow!

MaplePancakeMan
03-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Russ, really? it was cloudy here and not a great day for sapping butwe got enough to break some of the sap cubes up. Started flowing around 12 noon. Tomorrow looks like a great day. I collected 40 gallons of sap/ condensed sap ( a combination of what flowed today and melted off my cubes in the buckets) will collect tomorrow evening and hopefully have enough to boil monday! Hope this monday goes better than last monday. Gotta clean the pans tomorrow aswell and bring some more wood around. I too am way below production but i was almost ending this time last year rather than just starting.