PDA

View Full Version : Brix, color, and crystallization

11-Nick
03-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Last year was my first year tapping. I collected using jugs hanging on the spiles, and I batch boiled over a 2'x4' pan. I got fairly light colored syrup that I thought had a good taste, and hasn't crystallized over the past year sitting in canning jars.
This year, I'm boiling in same pan, but am using 3/16" gravity into a tank at bottom of ridge. Last night I finished off my first batch this year. It is way, way darker than syrup from last year. I was up until 3 am finishing it, so slept in this morning. I am just now polishing off pancakes for breakfast at noon. The syrup still tastes good. Different, more robust, but good. It tastes more like grocery store pancake syrup, which sorta disappoints me.
I actually stretched this batch out way further than I should have or wanted to. I had time to boil every day or two, but couldn't take time to finish it off. I was running the pan deeper because I new I had a lot of near-syrup. I'm guessing the extra boil time caused the dark syrup and stronger flavor.
I'm concerned about crystallization. I canned it at 67 brix. Does color of syrup/total boil time have anything at all to do with syrup crystallizing in jars before next season?
Thanks. I hope you are all having a good boiling season! It's about shot in the butt for the year.

psparr
03-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Well I get a bottle of that "stuff".
More than likely due to length of boil time. Also it will get darker and more mapley towards the end.

happy thoughts
03-05-2016, 12:36 PM
^^^ What psparr said. To answer your other question, crystallization is all about brix. Color of syrup/total boil time have nothing at all to do with syrup crystallizing in jars. But too dense syrup will be more prone to crystallize