PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Power

Vic99
03-05-2016, 07:09 AM
This is my third year tapping nine sugar maples.

Last two years when I would drill holes to set the taps I would get some leaks around the taps. I am Using a 5/16th bit. This year most of the taps leak. When I drill I can't get to 1.5-2 inches in one go, even with a fresh battery. My drill is 20 volts, is that powerful enough to drill the hole in one go?

I think part of my problem is that I drill an inch, drill stops, pull drill out, clean inside of hole carefully with skewer, drill again, until I get to two inches or so. I think I am not perfectly straight when I go back in and am thus am making hole slightly too big. When ever I watch someone drill on you tube they get to the proper hole depth in one go.

JoeJ
03-05-2016, 07:20 AM
You need a stronger drill. The hole should be drilled at high RPM's and straight in and straight out, one shot. If your going back into the hole after the drill stops, you have a high probability of drilling an oval hole, thus the leaking.

Russell Lampron
03-05-2016, 07:25 AM
I don't know what brand of drill that you are using but 20 volts should have plenty of power. I do most of mine with a 14.4 volt drill. Are you using a tapping bit? Tapping bits are much sharper than off the shelf wood bits from the hardware store.

psparr
03-05-2016, 07:53 AM
I second Russell

With a regular drill bit you'll have exactly the situation your explaining. With a tapping bit you'll be pulling back on the drill because it will want to sink all the way into the tree without even pushing it!

Vic99
03-05-2016, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the fast replies. I don't have a tapping bit. I will get one for next year. Each brand is as good as the next? Can you recommend a good one. Especially from Amazon.

bigschuss
03-05-2016, 09:18 AM
A tapping bit for sure. And how's the battery? When they get old, they'll hold a charge but lose power quickly.

psparr
03-05-2016, 09:18 AM
No experience on different brands, but you will never regret buying one. I'm as cheap as they come, but it was money well spent.

abbott
03-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Love my Makita 18v Lithium Ion. Small, powerful, battery does nearly 300 taps before it runs out. Often I will see a little seeping around the hole, especially after a hard freeze, even if there is no vacuum leak. Tapping bit will help, but if you had a good drill and sharp regular bit you should be ok. Sounds like you might have several weak links all coming together. I get my drill bits from Bascoms in NH. You should make a day of it and go for their spring sale. Or they will ship to you.

Daveg
03-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Your battery is shot AND your bit is duller than a door nail. Whether it's "tapping" bit, or any other kind of bit, a SHARP bit coupled with a a fresh 20v battery will drill a straight, smooth, gushing, non-leaking hole.

Vic99
03-05-2016, 11:18 AM
The bit is sharp. Broke a bit last year and only used this new one on two trees last year before using it this year on nine.

abbott
03-05-2016, 05:08 PM
The bit is sharp. Broke a bit last year and only used this new one on two trees last year before using it this year on nine.

maybe you have friends with drills who would let you try theirs?

mellondome
03-05-2016, 05:27 PM
I tap with a 12v li. Its light, batterirs are light, and it doesnt have enough torque to twist while drilling ( which will cause your hole to go out of round) but without a tapping bit.... any drill is pretty useless.

maple flats
03-05-2016, 05:49 PM
I've never used a 20V drill for tapping, I have 3 different kinds of drills. A Ryobi 18V lithium Ion, good, but the battery gives very little warning as it dies, I get about 300-350 holes (yes, a tapping bit) then one hole may show a slight slowing down the next it is dead. The I have a couple of Hitachi 18V ni cad drills, they are lighter to use but only give about 125-150 holes on a battery. My last drills are DeWalts, I likely have 5 or 6, all 18V Ni-Cad, they give 400-450 holes on a fresh battery. The only thing about them is that they are heavier to handle for hours on end.
Drill bits, get any brand "tapping bit", 5/16 bit and use it only for tapping. Between seasons, first boil it in water, then let it dry and when fully dry, put it in a zip lock baggy. As long as you don't drill into a bad area (rot) in a tree it should last you for 7-900 tap holes. If it ever becomes dull, after re sharpening it, move it to other uses and get a new tapping bit. As for brands, I've used likely 5 or 6 different ones and find them all good. When you drill the hole, never wobble the drill, go in at a slight angle upward, drill in 1.5-2" for vacuum and 2-2.5" for gravity collection. Do not stop the drill, go in at the proper angle, when you get to that depth, pull the bit out without stopping the drill. Then tap in the spout (spile) only until the sound changes, use a ladies hammer or a tapping hammer or I use the flat side of a 7" pair of lineman's pliers. Do not swing hard, the sound will change, with the first time the sound changes (ping,ping, ping,bonk), stop, it is set. Occasionally it will need more if it leaks, but most will not leak.

Vic99
03-05-2016, 07:47 PM
This is great. Thanks.

jbelany
03-05-2016, 08:05 PM
You will pay a good penny for a tapping bit, but will never regret it. 20 volt drills are some of the best on the market. Keep a steady hand with that sharp bit and I'd bet money on the fact that you'll be happy with the results.

Joe

mountainvan
03-05-2016, 08:22 PM
20 volt.....pewny drill. I use a 36 volt Bosch lithium ion that will do 500 taps on one battery. Weighs 8lbs. Tapping 500 is the equivalent of lifting two tons! 8 lbs at a time. Now for the tanaka.....

Sugarmaker
03-06-2016, 09:28 AM
This is my third year tapping nine sugar maples.

Last two years when I would drill holes to set the taps I would get some leaks around the taps. I am Using a 5/16th bit. This year most of the taps leak. When I drill I can't get to 1.5-2 inches in one go, even with a fresh battery. My drill is 20 volts, is that powerful enough to drill the hole in one go?

I think part of my problem is that I drill an inch, drill stops, pull drill out, clean inside of hole carefully with skewer, drill again, until I get to two inches or so. I think I am not perfectly straight when I go back in and am thus am making hole slightly too big. When ever I watch someone drill on you tube they get to the proper hole depth in one go.

The power part of your question:
You could tap the nine trees with a old fashioned brace and bit with the long auger style wood bit and be done in about the same time. Use your own power!
The leaking part of your question:
I have tapped with everything from the brace and bit to gas powered to now a Dewalt hammer drill. And used spiles from mismatched sheetmetal ones to cast to plastic health spouts. Tap counts between 250 and 650 per year.
Maybe one or two leakers per year. (Guess you could say I am not a big believer of all the hype about the perfect tap hole)
I would review your method of setting the tap into the hole. My guess would be that your setting the tap to deep/ hard and cracking the tree above and or below the tap hole? Go take some pictures of the leaking taps close up, and we should be able to help you solve this issue.
Regards,
Chris

Daveg
03-06-2016, 10:07 AM
If you have any maple tubing lying around, you can put a piece over the bit to make a depth guide. That will help you develop the technique to get the hole drilled "in one go". There shouldn't be any need to get chips out of the hole if you keep the drill spinning when you pull it out of the tree, and if the bit is up to snuff for drilling smooth, clean-sided holes. It should literally take less than 2 seconds to do the deed.

1-18v lithium ion drill (Ridgid) with Lifetime Service and battery replacement
1-Leader tapping bit
1-Krebs bit as back-up