PDA

View Full Version : Storing unfinished syrup

Sunny
03-04-2016, 11:42 AM
I have a block arch evaporator with three pans. It's my first year doing my own sugaring.

When I'm done boiling, I brought in my syrup to finish on the stove. If I have some boiled down sap from my other pans, but not evaporated enough to finish off on the stove, what do I do with it?
How long before I can re-boil it?

Thanks!

Sunny

24 taps on 12 fabulous trees
Buckets from the best Amish doughnut place in Indiana
One four year old daughter who loves making s'mores from the block arch

happy thoughts
03-04-2016, 12:01 PM
You can reboil it immediately. But if what you're really asking is how long you can store it, it depends. When I boil on a similar set up to yours I try to boil down 30-ish gallons to a couple of gallons and then refrigerate that in very clean gallon glass jars for up to a week. In that time a lot of niter will usually settle out so it is easy enough to remove it by careful pouring before you boil again. Longer than a week or so, I'd probably freeze it. Anything under syrup density will not keep well and will be prone to yeast and mold growth. Yeast thrives on sugar so you don't won't to lose any to long storage unless you're making wine or beer :)

Sunny
03-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the very helpful information!
I really need to get my timing down, since I, like many hobbyists, am only a weekend boiler!
Thanks again!

Marcus
03-04-2016, 01:55 PM
When i was using three buffet pans i would keep moving sap to the front pan. When i run out of sap i would dump the first pan into the next pan, and fill it with water so it would not scorch.Make sure you protect yourself when doing this.

Jonnie Maple
03-04-2016, 06:30 PM
I also run 3 pans on a block arch and boil mostly on "my" weekends. I try to boil 40-50 gallons of sap down to about 3 gallons of "almost" syrup. I then filter it through a pre-filter into a 4 gallon bucket. Then it goes into the fridge till I'm ready to make syrup. Sometimes that's 1 week, sometimes 2 weeks. Have not had a problem so far.