PDA

View Full Version : Syrup compensation chart

gearpump
03-03-2016, 07:42 PM
We've been having a hard time using the current compensation charts that are available because it always seems that the syrup temperature is in between the numbers, so my wife made a new chart with all the numbers. I haven't tested this chart out yet, but was wondering if anyone thinks the numbers are not right.

sapman
03-04-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm sure if not perfect, it's close enough. I know what you're saying, but in reality I feel like if it's within a 1/4 or 1/8 degree, it's certainly good. As long as that's not on the thin side. Giving away a tiny bit of syrup, maybe.

saphound
03-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Very handy, Gearpump. I'm going to print that out...thanks. I'm wondering why it starts at 209 though..

maple flats
03-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Hydrometers have a label saying 209+ on that temp, might be little or no change from 209-219.

saphound
03-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Hi Dave, mine doesn't have that labeled...just says hot test 211F, cold test 60F at the red lines. Bought it from the Maple Guys, but that's good to know. I have a heck of a time trying to get a reading right at 211.
Here's another (probably dumb) question..is the cold test reading just as accurate as the hot test?

Russell Lampron
03-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Hydrometers have a label saying 209+ on that temp, might be little or no change from 209-219.

The temperature of the hot syrup drops very quickly once it is out of the draw off. Also you lose some of the temperature because the test cup and hydrometer are cooler than the syrup coming out of the draw off. This makes it so that you rarely test syrup that is actually over 211*.

saphound
03-04-2016, 02:24 PM
The temperature of the hot syrup drops very quickly once it is out of the draw off. Also you lose some of the temperature because the test cup and hydrometer are cooler than the syrup coming out of the draw off. This makes it so that you rarely test syrup that is actually over 211*.
Hi Russel, Yeah it took me four tries of filling the cup (and cleaning the hydrometer) trying to take the reading before the cup was hot enough to keep it above 211 so I could quickly check the syrup. This chart will surely help with that.
One thing I just noticed from this chart..it says 59 brix at 209 degrees. My hydrometer shows the hot red line right on 59 also at 211 degrees. Does the brix reading really not change until the syrup is 209 or below? That seems odd to me. :confused:

Russell Lampron
03-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Hi Russel, Yeah it took me four tries of filling the cup (and cleaning the hydrometer) trying to take the reading before the cup was hot enough to keep it above 211 so I could quickly check the syrup. This chart will surely help with that.
One thing I just noticed from this chart..it says 59 brix at 209 degrees. My hydrometer shows the hot red line right on 59 also at 211 degrees. Does the brix reading really not change until the syrup is 209 or below? That seems odd to me. :confused:

The temperature can change a couple of degrees with little effect on the brix reading. The reading at 209 won't be enough of a difference higher than at 211*. Ten degrees difference in temperature is about .6 degrees on the brix scale.

saphound
03-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Ok, thanks, I see that now. Knowing this will make things a lot easier.

Russell Lampron
03-05-2016, 07:20 AM
Hi Dave, mine doesn't have that labeled...just says hot test 211F, cold test 60F at the red lines. Bought it from the Maple Guys, but that's good to know. I have a heck of a time trying to get a reading right at 211.
Here's another (probably dumb) question..is the cold test reading just as accurate as the hot test?

Yes the hydrometer reading at 60* is accurate. The problem with testing at that temp is that there aren't many producers that store their syrup at 60*. Mine is whatever the ambient temperature is in the sugarhouse which rarely 60*. I would still need a comparison chart to do a cold test.