PDA

View Full Version : Upper 50's for a couple days?

jsk syrup
03-03-2016, 05:53 AM
I live in Central Michigan with temps being a couple days in the upper 50's and several nights on the upper thirties and forties will the SAP season be over before it starts I hope the trees don't bud

Snappyssweets
03-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Very well could be the end of our season.

Watch the trees for buds and the sap for cloudy or discoloration.
Sure is kind of a let down if it ends. I was hoping for a 15-20 gallon year. Looks like I may be lucky to finish 8.

billyinvt
03-03-2016, 09:57 AM
We're watching a similar forecast in central Vermont. It is really cold today and tomorrow. I'm hoping it'll be enough to keep the roots cold since we have very little snow. Red maples bud first and they are only about a quarter of my taps, so if I lose those I might get another week before the sugar maples go too.

DrTimPerkins
03-03-2016, 10:01 AM
There really is no way to know for sure. Temperatures in the 50s aren't terrible, especially if it isn't really sunny. It is certainly not as bad as 60s-70s we had in mid-March 2012.

Basically the bottom line is that there isn't anything we can do about it anyhow, so I see absolutely no sense in worrying about things I can't control. Make syrup when the sap is running. When it stops, or turns buddy, you're done.

billyinvt
03-03-2016, 10:05 AM
I thought fretful prognostication was all part of the hobby?

DrTimPerkins
03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
I thought fretful prognostication was all part of the hobby?

Perhaps for some people it is, but I don't have to like it. I get enough of those types of questions from the media, which always seem to be "how bad will the _____ affect maple production?" Usually the answer is...."not much if at all" or "wait til May and I'll tell you."

I'd much prefer to worry about things that I can fix, and then go about fixing them. Not a lot of point sitting around wringing my hands in despair waiting for the sky to fall. The way I look at the forecast next week is that we're going to be swimming in sap for several days (now that's a problem I like to have), and that with GREAT vacuum and GREAT sanitation practices, by the end of the week we'll probably be close to half a crop, and that temperatures will probably drop after that and we'll be making syrup for several weeks beyond.

Bucket Head
03-03-2016, 11:43 AM
I tend to worry and overthink a few things from time to time also. When I saw the forecast I thought, "Oh no. Really?". And I remember 2012, but would like to forget it- so I'm going with Dr. Tim's last sentence from above!

Klonce
03-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Go as long as you can💦 Boil and boil till there is now more sap and enjoy it. I'm gonna continue to enjoy the rest of the season. Thanks

Snappyssweets
03-03-2016, 01:05 PM
I like to speculate, Not worried or fretting it. In fact I am of the mindset. Well if its running I will collect it when it turns buddy I will stop. I will boil what I have and bottle what I get. When its over, I will clean up and GO FISHING!! LOL

Just finished 3.5 gallons an hour a ago. :)

Revi
03-03-2016, 01:15 PM
I don't think it will turn buddy with one day in the 50's. It is always about 5 degrees colder up on the hill where our sugarhouse is. In some places in Maine it was close to 50 yesterday, but up on the hill it stayed below freezing, so no sap. Our lot is still snow covered, so that could help as well. At least the temps won't make it to the 80's like it did in 2012. We quit sugaring after that, and I guess it turned buddy from what I heard.