PDA

View Full Version : Help with early 1900's Evaporator

buckmans79
03-02-2016, 06:51 PM
I was give an early 1900's Vermont evaporator made in ogdensbury NY. The evaporator is a three pan set up. Two are raised flue design and one is a flat bottom pan. Pans are in decent shape for age. Would love to get this unit back to a boil. Can't find how it is meant to flow and some parts are missing. I'm a newbie so would appreciate any help.

Noseguard76
03-02-2016, 07:29 PM
I'm not an expert but I am afraid that you might some issues with lead leaching from the solder that was used when the pan was created. You might want to test the pan by boiling some water in it and then submitting a sample for lead analysis.

Potters3
03-03-2016, 08:34 AM
The sap is supposed to go into the back pan, thru the outside crimp of the flat pan into the ribbed pan then back into the flat pan which is in the middle. I am told they where a boiling beast in the day. Good luck with parts I believe Leader bought them out in the 60's or 70's. They have some of the castings hanging in there showroom in Swanton VT.

buckmans79
03-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks nosegaurd76 never thought about lead. That would be ashame if this is the case. Pans look very well built and lots of heritage in this evaporator. Potters3 I've tried to contact leader via email about this but at this time no response. I've also tried to google it but that has gotten me no where. Search always leads me back to leader. The search continues I guess. Any help and insit is greatly appreciated!