PDA

View Full Version : Rain cap hinder performance?

Mikemartin274
03-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Got myself a new leader 2x4 for this year. Built new shack. Put up stack test boiled and the arch was roaring very happy with it. Since then it's snowed several times. Snow is coming down my chimney and is accumulating in back of the arch. I'm very worried about it rotting my insul board. I climbed the ladder and put a bucket on it. Found a nice rain cap but was told it would slow down fire and hinder the performance of arch. This was told to me by someone who hasn't ever tapped a tree ever. So I'm here asking you experienced folks. Can I buy a rain cap and be good to go or do I need to keep up the dangerous task of climbing extension ladder onto steel roof to put bucket over stack?

mkoehler79
03-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Put on the rain cap. We have not had any problems with draft on our 2X8 Raised Flu with a Chinese type rain cap on top. If anything, our problem is sparks and ash making it out the top of the 18+' 10" pipe.

Jolly Acres Farm
03-02-2016, 07:24 PM
I put one on our Mason 2x4. During our test boil it performed great, better then advertised. Finally put in the first taps today, can't wait to run some sap through it.

Mikemartin274
03-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Ok thanks you two for your knowledge. I'm going to get a cap tomorrow. I agree with you both just trying to check myself before I reck myself. Got alot to learn second year seriously sugaring. I'm not sure the look of a Chinese style cap but I'm about to find out. The one I looked at here locally was cheap might even add couple more feet of stack.

Next week looks promising. Hopefully not too warm to end the season. Last year I built a oil tank rig and batch boiled ladled for days in the rain and snow. Enjoyed every minute of it. This year I'm indoors with continuous flow flued pan little more complicated so thankful for this site.

Made my first quart of syrup last night only had enough SAP so finished on a smaller rig.

Have a sweet season!