PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Forecast

backyardsugarer
03-02-2016, 01:17 PM
The long range forecast in Western NY looks terrible. Highs in the 60's with no freezing nights for a week. Make what you can when it thaws next as we may have a short season.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Agreed. We can only hope they're wrong or it's short lived. Not likely it seems, however.

Daveg
03-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Very concerning, isn't it? Same forecast for CNY....

David in MI
03-02-2016, 02:19 PM
I generally don't place much stock in the 5+ day forecast..... but it has me nervous here in MI as well. The warm weather we had in December has already caused many of the buds to swell to sizes not generally seen until 3/4 into the season. Hoping we're not in for another 2012.

wnybassman
03-02-2016, 04:13 PM
I have nearly 50% more taps in than I had last season, and it is looking like I will only make 75% of the syrup I made last year..............if this forecast holds.

I am sure glad I made the decision to tap early, or it would have been a bigger bust!!!

WI Sugarpop
03-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Same forecast here in WI. This week cold and next week too warm. Looks like we will have a nice run on the weekend.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
I have nearly 50% more taps in than I had last season, and it is looking like I will only make 75% of the syrup I made last year..............if this forecast holds.

I am sure glad I made the decision to tap early, or it would have been a bigger bust!!!

I'm in the exact same boat. I made 21 gallons on 80 taps (actually closer to 24 but I sold some sap). This year I put out 119 and I am only at 13.5-14 gallons. Even though I added 24 more last weekend, I still don't think I will even come close to my goal of 30 gallons if the weather stays warm. In fact, I should have tapped even earlier. Oh well, that's the way this business is.

mudr
03-02-2016, 05:44 PM
I'm on pace to triple my production compared to last year*

*I increased taps 25% and last year,my first, was only 2 weeks long due to late season and impending childbirth. I pulled taps 1 week before due date (he was born 10 days late)

DoubleBrookMaple
03-02-2016, 05:56 PM
I just posted a long one about this on another thread. I have a PWS, and my average February temperature was 15 degrees higher than last year, and only 1.4 degrees lower than the 2012 year from sugarmakers hell. I would like to say this means nothing, but I don't think I will. Nor will I say the NWS Climate Prediction Center is wrong. Hey... It's government run... Most of us don't trust the government.

wnybassman
03-02-2016, 07:54 PM
In fact, I should have tapped even earlier.

I said the exact same thing today!

I'm not going to be too quick to pull taps next week either. I'll go around and wash out buckets and tanks and hope for another run or three, but it ain't looking good. I hope they are wrong too. Even if I make some junk syrup for my cider fermentation next fall (I used good stuff this past year)

MaplePancakeMan
03-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Hudson Valley looks done for sure... tapped on the 10th made 8 gallons so far on 60 taps since i scaled down a bit. Forecasting for 70's here and no freeze for 13 days. At this point i'll just keep making syrup even if its buddy to prolong washing buckets and drink more beer :)

Ghs57
03-03-2016, 02:56 PM
To quote Yogi "It ain't over 'til it's over". Let's see how this plays out.

MaplePancakeMan
03-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Yesterday and last nights run was impressive nearly 3gpt here of crystal clear sap. Too bad we can't catch another freeze soon! its like the trees know the end is near and are trying to pump as much sap out as they can!

Mikemartin274
03-08-2016, 04:58 PM
I have a question. What about the trees that have not thawed yet. Will they produce SAP if they dont thaw out for a few days and theirs no freeze?