PDA

View Full Version : newbie filtering question

Tickle
03-02-2016, 08:58 AM
I have a question on cone filters,is there a correct way felt filters or pre-filters sholud be facing in other words in there a inside or outside to the filter or does it not matter ,any help on this would be great thanks

psparr
03-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Should have come with the seam in the outside. I'd stick with that as it's easier to clean syrup off the seam than it is niter.
Once you use the felt filter, never switch sides. As others have said. "Once the inside, always the inside"
The prefilters really don't matter.

Tickle
03-02-2016, 09:31 AM
okay thanks , i wasn't sure as i filtered about a gal. of finished syrup last night and had a heck of a time getting it to run through, i think i messed up by not pre-heating the cone filter over the steam hopefully that will help

psparr
03-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Cone filters are a love hate relationship. Slow going means it's actually working. Steaming the filters will help. Letting the syrup settle a day then reheating will work even better. Keep the filter enclosed somehow to keep the heat in. Also when done filtering, store the soaked filter in a freezer bag till you boil again. Then rinse it out in your sap to save the syrup. After that wash out the filter well with hot water.

Tickle
03-02-2016, 01:54 PM
great thanks , i hate the thought of rinsing it out and not getting every last drop , the freezer trick and rinsing it with hot sap sounds like a good idea thanks