PDA

View Full Version : Sanitize glass bottles

Jacob
03-02-2016, 05:04 AM
This is my second year making maple syrup I have just 1 tree but it is a big producer in the past I have always put glass containers in dishwasher before bottling is this step needed

Super Sapper
03-02-2016, 05:11 AM
You should be bottling at between 180 and 190 degrees and as long as the bottles are clean it is not needed. Half pint and smaller sizes should be preheated so they maintain at least 180 after filling. Lay the bottles on their side for about 30 seconds after filling to sanitize the cap and you are good.

lafite
03-02-2016, 06:54 AM
after I run through my filter press, we put the syrup back on the stove and maintain at 185. my wife has all our clean glass containers in the oven set at 200 degrees. we then fill one at a time and have never had a problem canning each bottle.

Jacob
03-02-2016, 04:12 PM
after I run through my filter press, we put the syrup back on the stove and maintain at 185. my wife has all our clean glass containers in the oven set at 200 degrees. we then fill one at a time and have never had a problem canning each bottle.
Thanks for the feedback I think I will just keep sanitizing in dishwasher I have not had any problems doing it this way and I do turn the bottles upside down and let them sit for a couple minutes to sanitize the lid
My wife went and bought me a case of bottles today and the Woman there told her that alot of people in this area N.E. Ohio are not getting much sap glad I don't have that problem but like the lady told my wife my tree is huge 84" diameter

happy thoughts
03-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Heating them before bottling through the sanicycle isn't a bad idea. I mentioned this a few days ago in another thread- I'd be careful about using soap on them if your are talking about narrow neck syrup bottles and not canning jars. The rinse water can't get into those narrow necks as well as you might think. I've found left over soap residue when washing them in a dishwasher and always end up hand washing with a good bottle brush. But if you just run the DW with plain heated water on already clean bottles, there shouldn't be a problem.

Jacob
03-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Heating them before bottling through the sanicycle isn't a bad idea. I mentioned this a few days ago in another thread- I'd be careful about using soap on them if your are talking about narrow neck syrup bottles and not canning jars. The rinse water can't get into those narrow necks as well as you might think. I've found left over soap residue when washing them in a dishwasher and always end up hand washing with a good bottle brush. But if you just run the DW with plain heated water on already clean bottles, there shouldn't be a problem.
Thank you for the mention of soap but I just sanitize plain water

leaky bucket
03-03-2016, 08:09 PM
The omspa (Ontario Canada). Recommends not washing new bottles. When you buy new they are packed upside down and will never be cleaner than then . as soon as you put water in them no matter the temp you are introducing bacteria atleast the chance for it to form. Warm new bottles only to 200 deg, this not for sterilizing but so the heat loss from hot syrup through glass is slowed and less condensation in bottle has a chance to mold.
Fill bottles full to top as it cools it will shrink! Turn bottles on side or put back in boxupside down till cold ( the cardboard dividers are thick enough to prevent baking while cooling. Next day they can be labeled and rightsided .
One thing we do is dip the filled and hot syrup bottle in a pail of warm water and vinager ( a couple ounces of Vin to 5 gal water) a quick wipe and inverted. This removes and finger smudges and overflow\drips on the outside of the bottle.
Long story short, we never wash new glass ( I know my supplier and how he stores it and keeps his premises)
Hope this helps
Mike

saphound
03-04-2016, 07:26 AM
I can't even imagine having 400 buckets, Leaky..especially during a big run. That'll keep ya busy!