PDA

View Full Version : ok, now i feel like an idiot.

seandicare
03-01-2016, 07:28 PM
when i started using drop tubes with jugs i baught some of the clear plastic taps from the local hardware store. 1 end is short and uniform size, the other is longer and alittle tapered. they were listed as 5/16........well i was putting the small end in the tree and the tubing on the long end....

this year i am starting to go to 3/16....i was told they use the same drill bit as the 5/16.....all well and good...i am doing a test for Stephen Childs (Cornell Coop) on the difference between the 2 on this kind of setup....

went to tap today and knew i had a 5/16 bit....the small end of the clear tubes were too small to solidly seat in the hole.....WTF! when i got home i second thought it and looked at them alittle closer.....sure enough the longer end is wider than the short end.......I HAVE BEEN USING THEM BACKWARDS FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS. explains why i had to use a smaller drill bit for them....lol

woodchuck
03-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Live and learn. Everyone messes up. I Tapped a tree on vacuum for the third time and realized my dead end T was in front of another T on a large tree. Don’t get much sap that way. Good Luck

maplestudent
03-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Look at the bright side, at least you didn't put 2 of them in a large oak. :cool:

psparr
03-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Watch this and you will laugh your butt off. Have to have a few seasons of messing up to really enjoy it. https://youtu.be/EqreE_O6mBU

seandicare
03-01-2016, 08:55 PM
OMG psparrm my wife came in and asked what i was watching, because i was laughing so hard

Jacob
03-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Watch this and you will laugh your butt off. Have to have a few seasons of messing up to really enjoy it. https://youtu.be/EqreE_O6mBU
That is a good video reminded me of when I ruined my wife's nice turkey roaster with copper bottom I used it ouside on fire to boil and after scrubbing all the black off from the fire it is not that beautiful roaster any more

saphound
03-02-2016, 04:40 AM
:lol::lol::lol:
That was pretty good Psparr..thanks for posting that. I feel a little better now that my syrup is only running me about 80 a gallon ..so far...:lol:

psparr
03-02-2016, 05:55 AM
I saw that a couple of years ago. I still laugh so hard I cry.

DMF
03-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Oh God I pray that won't be me this weekend.... :o