PDA

View Full Version : Mother Nature at her finest.

Snappyssweets
03-01-2016, 10:00 AM
In Central Michigan we awoke to the phone this morning informing us school was canceled. We are under another Winter Storm Warning. (oh gosh no not snow and such in winter in the northern hemisphere what would we ever do I had to add the sarcasm sorry I get so tired of the worrisome society we exist in now days

Anyhow the cold has shut down the run again. <sigh>
Oh wait I was behind on the boil. <Grin>
Went out to pull two more buckets of sap from the tubs and low and behold Mother Nature is helping us with the catching up. Ice in the tubs. Woo Hoo.
Okay the snow and storm makes me happy now. Looks like things are going to break loose next week here. So time to get ready.

I really need to get myself an arch built I can't keep doing this propane boiling. LOL
Ah well its fun who cares nothing else to do in retirement this time of year.

seandicare
03-01-2016, 11:22 AM
we are getting that storm here in NY tonight. the poor man's natural RO works wonders i guess.........i am switching to wood over propane this year.....last year my fish fryer was costing me about $55/gal of syrup....lol

bawplank
03-01-2016, 12:08 PM
boil down some of the ice just for fun. I did last sat and just enough ice that I was trying to float a sap hydrometer boiled down to pretty sweet.

Snappyssweets
03-01-2016, 03:11 PM
I wasn't going to bawplank however I told our thirteen year old said Oh dad can I do it and make it into caramel? I said yeah go ahead. So now she is sitting melting ice on the stove from the buckets. I didn't tell her this is going to take her all night. However with no school, it will keep her occupied for a few and its better then with a phone in her hand or some such. :D

Snappyssweets
03-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Thought I would share.

The amber is the syrup I am used too.
The Golden is what my daughter got out of the ice that formed in the tubs.

So I guess this says a lot about the fact there is good sap in the ice. She boiled down five gallons of ice and made a 1/2 pint.

Russell Lampron
03-04-2016, 05:39 AM
It looks like she did well and it looks like you have a little sugar maker on your hands.

seandicare
03-04-2016, 07:00 AM
Thought I would share.

The amber is the syrup I am used too.
The Golden is what my daughter got out of the ice that formed in the tubs.

So I guess this says a lot about the fact there is good sap in the ice. She boiled down five gallons of ice and made a 1/2 pint.

not sure I could call that "good" sap, but it is sap....guesstimate around 1%sugar my math gives me 80 gals of ice for 1 gal syrup.....early in the morning, so may be off

saphound
03-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Sweet!...or should I say Snappysweet! ;)