PDA

View Full Version : Boiled this weekend. Thinking about a refractometer... But a question

jrm
03-01-2016, 07:45 AM
We had our first boil this weekend -- homemade barrel evaporator. Ran through multiple pre-filters when taken off the evaporator (wasn't close enough to go through the cone.) Finished inside on day 2, used hydrometer for Brix, filled with cone and pre-filters. Reheated to approximately 190 and bottled.

All the talk about ratios (thanks for the chart in an earlier post!), quantities of sap and finished product, hydrometeres and refractometer has me thinking.

I figured we started with about 35 gal of sap (not certain where the 5 gal cap hits on my buckets) and tossed the smaller quantities of ice from the 5 gallon buckets. The frozen containers still had large ice chunks, so I pulled those, to avoid dropping my boiling temps, and have them saved for the next boil. Finished 48 oz, plus a nip, maybe 50 oz total.

Let's say I boiled 32 gallon, "losing 3 gallons to ice" which might be reasonable with the large chunks I removed. That translates to 1/3 gal of sap from 32 gals boiled, which would get me to 1 gal of syrup from 90 gal of sap, quite a low sugar content.

I'm not intending to stop, but I wonder if I'm thinking clearly about my numbers. Maybe my (labeled) 5 gallon buckets aren't 5 gallons. ;)

So, to the refractometer. Am I correct in understanding (from a post last week) that these have to be read at room temperature? If so, how do you use a sap hydrometer when it's cold, and conversely, how do I use the syrup hydrometer to deter when I'm done boiling?

And, lastly, for kicks, my finished bottles, and a shortened version of a "solo-mo" video my son took of the fire roaring. (Anybody know what I need to do to upload a iPad video? I'm getting an error. Thanks.)

Thanks.

johnpma
03-01-2016, 08:02 AM
We boiled Sunday on our barrel unit. Friday night I checked my sap with a sap hydrometer it was a bit over 2% sugar content. Simply floated the hydrometer in a 5 gallon bucket I store the sap in at 38 degrees and read the number......I think that"s how you do it :) We boiled 35 gallons of that stored sap and got about 40 oz of very delicious syrup

TrapperX
03-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Can you post a link to the discussion of using the refractometer at room temp please.
From what I understood is that the refractometers have (ACT) Automatic Temperature Compensation.

jrm
03-01-2016, 12:24 PM
We boiled Sunday on our barrel unit. Friday night I checked my sap with a sap hydrometer it was a bit over 2% sugar content. Simply floated the hydrometer in a 5 gallon bucket I store the sap in at 38 degrees and read the number......I think that"s how you do it :) We boiled 35 gallons of that stored sap and got about 40 oz of very delicious syrup

I only have a syrup hydrometer, I didn't think about being able to use one for sap. But, based on your experience Sunday night, it would seem that my sap is running about the same sugar percentage. (Maybe my backwards calculations, going from quantity of syrup to amount needed to make a gal, is off.)

And as you note, the syrup was very good... Getting better each year, my first year just a thermometer and checking for sheeting. This year, last year I bought the hydrometer. This year, I understand better how to use it, and was more successful filling the cup in the pan I used for finishing.

jrm
03-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Can you post a link to the discussion of using the refractometer at room temp please.
From what I understood is that the refractometers have (ACT) Automatic Temperature Compensation.

I'm trying to find the thread. In looking, I just saw a different thread in which Dr. Tim, stated them some refractometers can't handle the heat of hot syrup b/c if their plastic components, and that many do have ATC. He noted that as long as the sap/syrup falls within the refractometers stated temperature range and allow a few to reach equilibrium, I should be able to use to determine syrup.

michiganphil
03-01-2016, 01:18 PM

That is how you do it, but something still doesn't seem right. If you had 35 gallons of over 2% sap, you should have finished shy of a gallon of syrup.

The hydrometers (both sap and syrup) should be labeled for the calibration temperature. Sap is usually 38F and syrup has a hot test line at 211F. You can find a correction table to tell the brix/temp of syrup at any temp.

abbott
03-02-2016, 07:20 AM
Generally a typical 5 gallon bucket is measured right to the brim. So if your buckets were "mostly full" then they were likely only 4, maybe 4.5 gallons. So I'm guessing you really only boiled 27 gallons of sap to get 50 oz. of syrup. Or 70:1. Which isn't good, but better than 90:1. You may have lost syrup along the way (left in the pan, stuck in the filter, etc.) And if anything you probably made your syrup extra thick.

I recommend going to amazon.com to find a pretty cheap refractometer (0-10 brix works well for sap). Don't worry much about the temperature... your reading will be close enough. Hot/cold matters more for syrup because there is a significant density difference in syrup at 211* and syrup at 60*. The density difference of sap at 34* and sap at 60* is much less, so unless you're helping your kids with their science fair projects...

Your question about hydrometers and refractometers got a bit muddled... In terms of the syrup hydrometer, you'll notice the "hot" and "cold" lines. You can take these numbers and make a chart of what the density will be for any syrup at a temperature in between. Or buy a hydrotherm. I've never used a refractometer for syrup, but I can tell you that you would need one with a different range than the one you use for sap. And the hydrotherm is such a great tool that I can't imagine anything would be better.

jrm
03-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info on the buckets. I do like the 70:1 ratio better ;), although, of course, I'd rather it closer to the 40:1. If I follow your thought process, I definitely was completely full to the brim, for various reasons, was was not too far below. However, I did pull ice (how does that factor into my ratio creation?) Can you tell I am trying to get an even better ratio.

I looked around on Amazon and based on the various comments, I think I'll go ahead an get a sap refractometer. For the syrup, I'll stick with my hydrometer, or maybe look into the hydrothermal you mention. I was working with the hot line, and had my temp conversion chart out.

Even with my "fussing" about low yields, the syrup sure tastes good!

Thanks for everyone's help.

JDP
03-02-2016, 04:02 PM
JRM; You can get a refractometer that measures both SAP and syrup. Google "Refractometer 0-80 Brix" and you will find one on Amazon or E Bay..... Mine has a double scale that you just change for SAP or Syrup. Tested it vs my hydrotherm and SAP hydrometer. Spot on. NO DIFFERENCE.

I would invest in a hydrotherm vs a hydrometer as it takes the guessing out of the temperature compensation. no Charts needed.

Check out the bottom of Big Eddys profile for instructions on the hydrotherm usage.

Hope that helps!!