PDA

View Full Version : sap filter question

mcsap
03-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Has anyone ever used furnace air filters for filtering sap? As a small-timer with a few dozen buckets, they look to me like a good way to filter sap when I dump the buckets into my gathering tank. I was thinking more of the fabric variety than the spun fiberglass. Anyone think of any advantages over the old window screen I'm using now--or downsides?

Thanks.

Dave Y
03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I would not use them alot of them have a oily film on them.

maplehound
03-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Doesn't sound like a food grade material to me. I wouldn't use them.

parsissn
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I'd be concerned about loose fiber in them that might come off in the sap. A good (cheap) sap filter is several layers of cheese cloth. Just make a wood frame or use a strap to hold the cloth over the mouth of your collecting tank. Takes out the bug bodies leaves and sticks really well. And in the spirit of the backyarder, is very cheap.

sweetvt
03-08-2007, 10:14 AM
For about $12 one can buy a orlon cone syrup filter and for about a $1 each several of the cone prefilters from any local syrup equipment dealer.The prefilters can be washed and reused several times, and for under 20 bucks you will have a setup that will give you really nice filtered syrup without the risk of using any harmful chemicals or unapproved materials that might contaminant or give your syrup an off flavour. The Orlon filter if washed and taken care will last you several seasons. Again, just my 02 cents.

325abn
03-08-2007, 11:06 AM
A NEW white cotton t-shirt works good for sap.

mcsap
03-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I figured there was reason no one had mentioned using those things--I'll stick with the screen and cheesecloth I've been using once things thaw out here.

ennismaple
03-08-2007, 04:02 PM
We used to use tea towels to filter sap as it was dumped into the tank on the wagon. All you're really trying to do is get the big stuff.

Russell Lampron
03-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't filter my sap until I unload it into the bulk tank at the sugarhouse. I use the pop-sap filter there. It fits nicely in the hole in the bulk tank cover.

Russ

HanginAround
03-08-2007, 05:45 PM
We always had steel screen on the gathering tank (a little heavier than window screen), and then a wool sock over the pipe to filter when emptying from the gathering tank to the feed tank. The wool is very porous, so doesn't slow the flow or plug up easily, but catches just about everything.

SapSuckers
03-08-2007, 07:25 PM
we use whole house filters in our line from the feed tank to the evaporator. These are available at any plumbing supply house or hardware store. They usually have 3/4" fittings with an in and out side. Some have replacable filters and some have a screen which can be flushed clean when dirty. Theses are only sediment filters and you will need to filter large sediment first.

Chris

harbormaple
03-08-2007, 08:17 PM
I have question and was wondering how the pros do it. We filter the sap w/ cheese cloth when we collect. But does everyone filter again before it goes in to the evaporator? and if so whats the best filter to use for that.
thanks you are all a big help

brookledge
03-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I also use the whole house filters they work great and filter it down to less than 20 microns depending on the filter. If you use a ultra violet system you need to filter it good before it goes through or else it is not effective.
Keith

maple flats
03-08-2007, 08:58 PM
I use a cone shaped sap filter which sets in my collection tank opening, does real well.

ibby458
03-09-2007, 05:27 AM
We screen it thru window screen as we gather, then pump it thru filter felt that we got at the maple dealers. It was originally a flat filter, until my wife sewed it into a 6" diameter by 36" tube, which we clamp over a 6" plexiglass disk with a pipe fitting threaded into it. Huge capacity, homemade pop on filter. We never see a speck in our holding tank(s)

3% Solution
03-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Good mornig Ibby,
So you sewed a flat filter into a long tube filter and that's how you filter your sap.
Well great minds think alike I guess, I am using a cone filter (felt) with a prefilter also this year. I wanted to try it out to see what, if anything, would happen.
Clear sap you say, well we'll see, tomorrow, Sunday anyway!
Thanks!

Dave

maplehound
03-09-2007, 09:22 AM
when I pump through a small hose I put on a milk sock. They do a good job and are real cheap.

mountainvan
03-09-2007, 10:38 AM
I made a setup that holds 4 milk filters for my 2" pump, I can do 2,000 gals of sap before I have to change them.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Pop on "Disc" filters are $4 or so if you look around. MSC

ibby458
03-10-2007, 05:21 AM
If I could have found pop on filters for $4, Id'a bought some, but our 36" long felt "sock" will filter 750 gallons (our max gather to date) as fast as a 1/3 hp sump pump can push it. I suspect it will filter a lot more, but doubt we'll ever have more than that.

Hey 3% - How are you using the cone & prefilter? Attach it to a hose, or just pouring it thru with a bucket? When we first started with a 2x4 flat pan, I used a modified tomato cage to hold the felt filter right over the pan, then poured the sap in as needed. The steam kept it moist and warm so it would flow fast.

3% Solution
03-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Good morning Ibby,
We have it hanging over the holding tank in the sugarhouse and will pump the sap up into the filter and it will drain right into the tank, so it's pretty simple.
May find out today if it works, tomorrow anyway.
I'll let you know.

Dave

3% Solution
03-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Ibby,
Didn't get much sap today 6 gallons, but it was enough to try out my sap filter, check for leaks and stuff like that.
The filter worked fine, as far as taking the amount of sap being pumped into it.
Didn't check the filter to see how much mung was in it (I'm sure not much, if anything), but time will tell.
At least it took the gpm.
If I can get my daughter to take some pics, I'll send them to you.
Did you get any sap today?

Dave

ibby458
03-11-2007, 06:51 AM
No Sap here yet. Friday morning was 20 below. We put out 150 taps yesterday, but it's an Amish Farm and won't gather on Sunday. There's another 100 to go in there on Monday. That deep, mealy snow beat us. Took 4 hours to put in the 150 with TONS of help!

WE got a lot of help coming today, too and hope to get 400 roadside taps in. That should be a little easier. WEather's looking good for a change!

3% Solution
03-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Ibby,
That sap filter I rigged up worked pretty good, I thought I filtered the sap before it went into the gathering tank?
I ran 50 gal. through, wow what a difference, sap clear as a bell going into the flue pan!!
Got to work on the forced draft, need more air.
How's things at your end?
Dave

ibby458
03-12-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm behind - Waaaay behind. Only got 168 taps in yesterday. That makes me about 1/2 done. My middle son (who does a lot of the hard work for me) is preoccupied changing his head gaskets in his truck (which he needs to get to his college classes). I gave him a hand for a couple hours yesterday, which put me behind.

Hoping to at least get the rest of the taps in today. Then to assemble evaporator, gather & boil tomorrow.

3% Solution
03-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey Ibby,
Got my forced draft running, works real nice once I get a good draft.
That sap filter does a nice job.
How's the sap running in Northern New York?
I have made 5 gallons so far, which is about average for us.
Was pretty warm here yesterday, in the 60's.
Got up to 97.6 in the sugarhouse, almost COLD beer weather!!
Well we picked up 30 gallons tonight and will boil that off in the morning, so that should give us an other gallon.
Sap is not as sweet as years past, 2.5 to 2.7.

Dave

ibby458
03-16-2007, 05:37 AM
We had some complications assembling the evaporator, so this morning will be our first boil. I got 275 gallons sitting in my tank, ready to go. At 16 degrees this morning, I may have to break a hole in the ice to pump it out.

Our sugar is down as well. The Amish farm is running 1.8, and our roadside trees are 2.8. I've seen these roadsides hit 5% before, although 3.5-4.5 is more common.

Hoping the cold today will "reset" the trees. Have only had one decent run and a few trickles.

mountainvan
03-16-2007, 08:05 AM
If you had caterpillars last year that may be why the sugars down. Overall mine is down .5% this year and a 1% last year.

ibby458
03-17-2007, 05:46 AM
I don't remember much defoliation on the roadside trees, but as old, old trees, it might not take much to drag them down. Could also just be that first run. It might get better.

3% Solution
03-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Ibby,
That sap filter idea is still working well, very well.
The sap is just as clear coming into the pan.
How's the boiling?
Started up again here, running real well.
Happy boiling!!

Dave

ibby458
03-23-2007, 03:26 AM
Hi Dave!

We haven't had any sap for a week, but that changed yesterday. Picked up over 650 gallons of 2.4-3.4% sap yesterday afternoon. I'm heading out to the sugarhouse in a few minutes, and we;ll see how it goes!

3% Solution
03-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi Ibby,
Picked up another 100 gallons to day, most of it was 2.5 to 2.7.
However, I put 16 gallons of 3.3 in at one time.
I was making nice looking light medium.
Two shades less and it would have been light!
**** that stuff was pretty!
Took about 6 hours to boil it off.
How'd you make out today?
Good I hope.

Dave

ibby458
03-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Hi Dave!

Made 22 gallons of medium amber yesterday, and discovered a few things. One is that I've reached the upper limits of my sugaring ambitions. I pumped a lot of wood into that evaporator yesterday, and I was whooped at the end of the day. It needs to be fed about every 8 minutes, and by the time I check the sap supply, pan levels, defoam, and possibly draw off some syrup, it's time to feed the arch again. I had a good time, but I think If I had several runs like that day after day, it would take some of the fun out of it.

Friends & family did the gathering for me as I finished boiling. Only got 285 gallons yesterday, which should make an easier day. (THe Amish guy busted his bobsled on another of those tall stumps, and didn't get a full gather. He'll have a big load for me today!)

I took him over a 5 gallon pail of syrup as his share of what we've boiled so far. It was way cool to see how excited all his kids (and wife!) got when they saw that bucket! The oldest girl headed for the house to make pancakes, and said they were gonna have pancakes for every meal until it was gone. I kinda doubt that, but I bet they eat a lot of them for the next few days!

Mike
03-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Ibby, Convert over to oil!!!!!! I started out with 2x6 wood, liked it, bought a 3x10 oil rig, love it.........

ibby458
03-25-2007, 06:21 AM
Hi Mike!

I admit I've thought about it a few times, but I can't. My own personal mindset is that sugaring is all about firing with wood. That equation of Tree sap + wood Fire = syrup is what makes it work for me.

I have nothing against oil firing, it's just not for me. (Kinda like country music & beer. A lot of people like it, but it don't trip my trigger)

TapME
03-25-2007, 08:30 AM
You've got to love the felling and the smiles that syrup brings to the faces of freinds and family when they get syrup don't you. Always amazes me.

ibby458
03-26-2007, 06:27 AM
It sure is a good feeling!

Ya know - I think we had MORE fun with a rig like yours than with the one we have now. Long nights in the backyard under the stars, just boiling sap and shooting the breeze. Hot dogs on sticks cooked in the fire for supper.

Unfortunately, we also had long nights in the rain, with the rain adding more water than we could boil off!

Fred Henderson
03-26-2007, 07:58 AM
When I was wading thru snow up to my "A" tapping trees that was my upper limits in this sugaring business. I am already thinking of selling out. I will just going once or twice to someones sugar house each season for the smell and to buy syrup. Boiling on an open pan sitting on cement blocks was the most fun at doing this that I ever had. Now with the new 3x8 it takes me and the wife just to run it. I am firing and cleaning filters and she is watching and drawing. Barely got time to eat a sandwich let alone cook a hot dog.

ibby458
03-27-2007, 06:08 AM
You'll always be welcome to hang out here Fred!

But remember not every year will be butt deep snow. We also get some beautiful weather during tapping, and it sure is pleasant then!