PDA

View Full Version : Slow Flow?

lindseyr1980
02-29-2016, 08:23 AM
Did anyone else experience very slow flow on Sunday? We have taps with jugs on about 30 trees. They were going great on Saturday, then Sunday we came up almost dry. Some of my taps have barely produced a thing, and our sugar content is way low. Anyone else experiencing this? Troubleshooting ideas?

gbwaterski
02-29-2016, 09:34 AM
I think Sunday was spotty. My taps were running very good but my buddy who lives 30 minutes south of me only had 10 gallons from 54 taps.

odave
02-29-2016, 10:32 AM
I had 9.5 gallons from 12 taps on 8 trees Sunday, with two big Silvers and a Norway contributing 2/3 of the total.

Snappyssweets
02-29-2016, 11:22 AM
I have a varied wood lot. Swampy and Ridge. Some of my maples are on rises or nubs in the swamp. What I have experienced is the trees that are up higher are running better. Likely due to more ground thawing and thus more active tree roots.

The trees on the front of the lot do better then the trees at the back of the lot due to the sun hitting them more and warming them better. I still have two trees in the lower portion with their roots still under ice water that are not dripping a thing dry as dry can be. While another that is slightly higher up and younger then the older two started to trickle some yesterday.

I have reds, no sugar or silvers. But that is my experience so far this year with my trees. I had a good day Sunday and some ran into the late evening and are running again today. Others have turned off today.

870ExpressMag
02-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Sunday I had a good day, 16 taps on 9 trees, i got 10-12 gallons and had 2 more gallons in buckets this AM

lindseyr1980
02-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Well, this is a bit discouraging :( All of my trees are on higher ground and have exposure to sun. My buckets were dry this morning. I guess I will see when I get home from work.

Ed R
02-29-2016, 02:06 PM
You have to have freeze thaw cycles for it to run well on gravity. My dad always said, " it will run good as long as it froze the night before".

BreezyHill
02-29-2016, 02:22 PM
It was an odd day on the VT NY border as well. temps went up to 50 but the wind was blowing so the trees didn't do so well. Last night we were at 44 and about midnight they kicked in pretty good. 700 or so taps and nearly 900 gallons since it started yesterday. Flowing fair now with 43 and steady.

Friend not far had similar issues.

billdean
02-29-2016, 02:51 PM
45 taps out. I collected 50 gallons since Saturday morning with Sunday being my better day at 24 gallons. Most of what I tap are red maples which some have been pretty stingy on giving anything at all. I did have 14 gallons this morning and it was still running when I come in from the wood lot though I believe it has shut down now at 26* here. Sugar contain was 1.75% to 2.25%. Looks like this coming Friday may be the next flow around here.

mitten mapler
02-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Trees that untapped on Sunday ran great but all the other previous tapped trees were barley dripping . I think it just didn't get cold enough Saturday night. I'm in Roscommon county

Hannah
02-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Trees that untapped on Sunday ran great but all the other previous tapped trees were barley dripping . I think it just didn't get cold enough Saturday night. I'm in Roscommon county

I agree also

lindseyr1980
03-01-2016, 07:21 AM
I wondered the same thing about the warm evening temps. I am thinking this year I may continue to see this problem. Looking at the extended forecast, it looks like some warm days are coming, but also warm nights.

Sugarmaker
03-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Remember your dealing with mother nature here. She is in control. We are just along for the ride. Have fun making syrup, when the sap flows.
Regards,
Chris

michiganphil
03-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Didn't get a freeze since Friday night. Saturday I pulled 2 gal/tap, but Sunday was a bust for me as well.

DonMcJr
03-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Yep it didnt go below freezing very long Saturday night...hence less fliw Sunday...get ready for this Saturday, Sun and monday...big flows with Sunday probably being the best day...