PDA

View Full Version : I need info on cleaning an ibc tote..

jsk syrup
02-28-2016, 08:11 PM
I recently picked up a really nice tote. It was used at a honey factory. It has sat for some time now and has a bit of an odor. I plan on power washing it with a steam washer. Should i use any sort of cleaner? Bleach just dish soap? Power washing it tomorrow any info is appreciated.

backyard sugaring
02-28-2016, 08:58 PM
Try hot water first. Don't use dish soap. I cut a bigger hole on top of mine to be able to scrub it clean. We made a new cover for it. works great. I buy a cleaner at a brewers store that leaves no residue. I think it is called Star Brite. Good Luck Lee

derekp
02-28-2016, 09:29 PM
I use a stiff bristle brush on a pole to clean mine with a bleach/water mixture..take the head off the pole and put it through the hole first, reattach to the pole and scrub away..it's easier to lean the tank on its side a bit and get one side, then swap sides till you get everything...then quadruple rinse

TerryEspo
02-29-2016, 07:28 AM
No soap, light bleach mixture, scrub all surfaces, rinse and re-rinse and re-rinse once more.

Leave the top and bottom bungs open to dry properly.

Woody
03-02-2016, 06:19 AM
Can you tell me how you made the new tote lids? I cut bigger openings too but haven't been able to figure out a new lid. I just use plastic to keep the dirt out after they're all plumbed together in the sap storage room but I'd rather have a lid. Thanks

backyard sugaring
03-03-2016, 08:50 PM
I cut a hole out of the top framed it with aluminum channel, put weather stripping, cut a piece of Plexiglas, and used wing nuts to bolt it down. It works great and we know it is totally clean. Good luck

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-04-2016, 08:46 AM
I cut a hole that is as big as a 5 gallon bucket, and then I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid as my Cover. The buckets taper upwards, so if you cut a hole as big as the bottom of the bucket and can keep it pretty round the 5 gallon bucket seals it up nicely.

A good cleaning mechanism is also to put it in your pickup truck, i'm assuming you have one or else not sure how you got the tote. Fill it up half way with water, and add a bottle of bleach. Drive around for a day with it, the splashing and sloshing and the bleach will do the job all on its own. Then just open the valve as you drive around and it will empty on its own too. Then rinse with some clean water and you will be good to go

billyinvt
03-04-2016, 08:55 AM
No soap, light bleach mixture, scrub all surfaces, rinse and re-rinse and re-rinse once more.

Leave the top and bottom bungs open to dry properly.
I second this. Hot water, just a little bleach, scrub, rinse rinse rinse, and allow to dry completely.

maple flats
03-04-2016, 09:30 AM
I cut a hole that is as big as a 5 gallon bucket, and then I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid as my Cover. The buckets taper upwards, so if you cut a hole as big as the bottom of the bucket and can keep it pretty round the 5 gallon bucket seals it up nicely.

A good cleaning mechanism is also to put it in your pickup truck, i'm assuming you have one or else not sure how you got the tote. Fill it up half way with water, and add a bottle of bleach. Drive around for a day with it, the splashing and sloshing and the bleach will do the job all on its own. Then just open the valve as you drive around and it will empty on its own too. Then rinse with some clean water and you will be good to go
I agree on filling and bleach, but don't over do the bleach. With enough time (like all day) just a qt. of bleach will do fine. Then rinse at least 4 times.

dcast99
03-05-2016, 09:50 AM
I hose out any of the loose stuff. Then I pour in about a cup of bleach and add about 2 gls of water. Roll the tank around to coat all 6 sides and let it set for a day. All of the nasty stuff is gone and the tank is gleaming white. Drain and rinse with a hose. Shut the valve and fill to the top. Let it sit for another day, then drain and use.

MapleMark753
03-05-2016, 11:01 AM
I know its been said elsewhere too, but hydrogen peroxide works pretty well too. 3 percent, the kind you can buy at any store. Comes in a spray bottle, and quarts to refill the spray bottle I think. We rinse with water, scrub, rinse again. Then spray the whole inside with the hydrogen peroxide and let it sit. Then rinse, and rinse again. Breaks down into water and oxygen. The tank (we had a honey tank) is still a used tank, but really clean. Just an alternative to the bleach.
take care, Mark

Burnt sap
03-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Put tank in empty snow covered field put 1 cup of flammable liquid inside torch it up watch it burn and buy a stainless tank.:lol: JK.

DocsMapleSyrup
03-09-2016, 10:09 PM
I agree on the bleach comments mentioned previously. We were getting ready for my first boil and I had just installed 50 taps on 3/16" so I picked up a 275 gallon Tote. I found out they are a pain to clean out so I put an ice fishing house hole snap lid (Catch Cover) to increase the diameter of the working area and to get a pump into, but I didn't want to drill holes in the lid and have to remove the lines to pump out the tank, so we cut out the original 6" lid and replaced it on the front corner of the tote. I then drilled holes in the 2" bung that is in the middle of the 6" lid and ran my 3/16" lines in the bung. Now I can just pump out the tote and don't have to worry about the incoming lines.

Diesel Pro
03-18-2016, 08:50 AM
For those using bleach, I assume a triple rinse is sufficient to remove any residue so that you can run your sap through RO?

MapleMike
03-29-2016, 03:46 PM
I hose out any of the loose stuff. Then I pour in about a cup of bleach and add about 2 gls of water. Roll the tank around to coat all 6 sides and let it set for a day. All of the nasty stuff is gone and the tank is gleaming white. Drain and rinse with a hose. Shut the valve and fill to the top. Let it sit for another day, then drain and use.

I tried this method and it worked perfectly. With little snow fall this year my storage tank got nasty. Usually pack snow around it and it last the season.