PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Fryer Questions

odave
02-28-2016, 01:31 PM
I have a couple questions for the folks using turkey fryers - what kind of GPH are you getting, and how much propane are you using?

I'm a small hobbyist boiling with wood on a backyard campfire pit converted into a cinder block arch with two steam pans. I am getting 2.5 - 3 GPH depending on how well I'm managing the fire. I think I can probably get it up to 4-5 GPH by tweaking the configuration and staying on top of my fire game, but if I can match the increase with a propane burner setup, it may be an easier way to go.

barnbc76
02-28-2016, 01:40 PM
I just got a turkey fryer from a friend, it is a prewarmer for my cinderblock arch...i had a 10 gal pot on it and it never came close to boiling even when it was down to a gal...i think the burner was just pitiful or else it needs a different regulator...at any rate it still beat puting freezing cold sap directly into our boiling pans...i dont know how much propane we used...only a couple hrs worth.

barnbc76
02-28-2016, 01:55 PM
13395 13396 my galvinized garbage can w/4 gal pot does a little over gal/hr...cheaper than turkey fryer w/propane...

Run Forest Run!
02-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Dave, I boil on two propane burners. There are some weak burners out there, but if you can find ones that burn at around 60,000 BTUs or more you'll be able to maintain a good boil using them. They run about $50. I use 4" deep steam trays and can evaporate 2 gallons per hour when at a rolling boil. With two burners I can boil down 4 gallons per hour. If I boil for 6 hours I can process about 24 gallons (100L) of sap.

Placing the propane tanks into plastic tubs of warm water will keep the propane pressure high. I can make a half gallon of finished syrup for each 20lb tank of propane. Each propane tank is good for 10 - 12 hours of boiling time. Propane here is currently $9.49 so a gallon of syrup costs me about $20 in fuel.

I've set up a small cinder block evaporator this year to experiment with, but it will only be used on nice sunny days to augment my propane burners. The rest of the time I plan to stay cozy in the garage with my propane tanks. There's roughing it, and then there's roughing it.

blurr95
02-28-2016, 08:20 PM
I bought a small 58,000 btu burner from Academy sports for $30. It is actually adjustable up to 58,000 btu's. Nice little burner, has a 13"x13" frame. I welded up a small bottling pan and steam tray to use on it. But we used it as a small finishing pan today, and it worked well.

Jason

SDdave
02-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Mine is a little different than a standard turkey fryer. I got 6 burners running on a 100# tank. Get about 16 hours per tank. So about $4.50/hr running and 9 to 10 gph. With my little RO average about 18 to 20. Figured can make about 8 gallons per tank. Minus incidentals.

SDdave

MJPJ Sugars
03-01-2016, 06:26 PM
We used a turkey fryer last year -- well, kinda. We have an 80-quart stock pot, placed over a King Cooker. I believe it's a 50k+ btu burner, I've had it for so long I don't remember. We could get 2 gallons an hour when it was cranking. Run Forest's idea about placing the propane tank in warm water is FANTASTIC!! Wish I'd have thought of that last year!! When you're cranking through that much propane, especially when it's really cold, you'll lose tank pressure after a few hours. We'd use about a tank and a quarter or half over a 10-12 hour boil.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk