PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on new evaporator

Chris Zeger
02-28-2016, 12:46 PM
This is my 2 nd year making syrup learned a lot built a barrel evaporator last year was lucky to get 4 gal a hour out of it made a bunch of changes this year and getting 7-8 or more on a good day. I'm bitten by the bug and want to get into it a little more next year. I've done 40 taps the last 2 years. What I'm looking into is getting a 2x4 or 2x6 with flue pans. I don't ever seeing myself getting over 150 taps ever probably gonna be 100. That being said what are my options would like to stay under $3000 is there anything in that price range new or should I look used? Maybe down the road if I'd get bigger could I add a a RO and still use a smaller rig?

Tater
02-28-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm in a similar situation and looking at possibly getting a Smoky Lake hybrid hobby pan. The boil rate of a 2x6 would be nice, but with only a 100 taps, you might have to collect for a couple days, as it takes well over 100 gallons before any syrup can be drawn off. If you can leave the pan sweet, that'd only be a factor on the first boil.

I don't know how much of the arch you can fabricate yourself, but if you are wanting an insulated, airtight arch with stainless sides and auf/aof, you might run into significant expense just for your arch, so don't forget to factor that in.

newmod
02-28-2016, 01:45 PM
This is my 2 nd year making syrup learned a lot built a barrel evaporator last year was lucky to get 4 gal a hour out of it made a bunch of changes this year and getting 7-8 or more on a good day. I'm bitten by the bug and want to get into it a little more next year. I've done 40 taps the last 2 years. What I'm looking into is getting a 2x4 or 2x6 with flue pans. I don't ever seeing myself getting over 150 taps ever probably gonna be 100. That being said what are my options would like to stay under $3000 is there anything in that price range new or should I look used? Maybe down the road if I'd get bigger could I add a a RO and still use a smaller rig?

Chris
I probably wouldn't go with anything over a 2x4 with drop flues. Check out the smoky lake hybrid pan. I have one of their 2x5 hybrid pans, and it took me around 300 gallons evaporated before I had a draw off of syrup, and I have around 240 taps. I built my own arch and am extremely happy with it. I have about $2200 in everything. Mine is boiling around 27 gph. Definetly go with AUF.

Chris Zeger
02-29-2016, 05:54 AM
I see you are in loudounville not real far from me. I work in a fab shop so I'll probably be making the arch myself. We have looked into making a flue pan but don't have the right tooling for our brake press. I'd love to come see your rig run someday if you don't care.

newmod
02-29-2016, 05:01 PM
I see you are in loudounville not real far from me. I work in a fab shop so I'll probably be making the arch myself. We have looked into making a flue pan but don't have the right tooling for our brake press. I'd love to come see your rig run someday if you don't care.
Anytime. Saturday might be out last boil. Have to see how the weather goes. We are boiling tonight and will also boil tomorrow afternoon /evening. Then on friday eve and Saturday all day if needed.. we have drawn off about 11 gallons so far. Just let me know if you would like to stop over. I can private message my number to you

highlandcattle
02-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Take a look at Bill Masons hobby xl 2x4. Complete with arch. Great price and very good quality.