PDA

View Full Version : Filtering question

Dan W
03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Last year I used cheesecloth to filter my syrup. That didn't work out too well so this year I got some synthetic filter material. It is not quite 1/8th inch thick. When filtering, do you use more than one layer? Got the pre filter stuff too and know about layering that. Just not clear on the final filter. Thanks, Dan.

HanginAround
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
One layer is fine, you might have trouble getting it to flow through more than one layer. Boil your filter first before you use it for the first time.

Dan W
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks, that's what I needed to know!

brookledge
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Also when washing the felts it is ok to sort of squeeze the excess water out but don't wring them out. Wringing them out will tear the fibers and will eventually cause nitre to leak through
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-08-2007, 05:26 AM
It would be best to invest in a 12 pack of paper prefilters. These will filter out 90% of the nitre before it gets to the filter. If you don't the filter will clog fast and quit filtering. You can start out with 6 to 8 prefilters, more or less depending on the amount of syrup you need to filter and as 1 gets clogged, pull it off and dump the remaining syrup on the next one.

Be sure to wet the prefilters and the filter before filtering to get the syrup to start flowing thru them good.

tapper
03-08-2007, 06:58 AM
I have always done it just as Brandon described and it has always worked great.