PDA

View Full Version : New to maple syrup

davewittwer
02-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Tapped my trees last week, between princeton and milaca. I thought it would run tiday but i have just a little bit in in a few buckets. Tap holes are 1.5" deep, I'm sure I didn't bottom them out. Antoine in the area getting a run?

Also, do I need another course of block on my arch or is this good

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160227/2b7443d900da2a1d3f1f421d4a846d7b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160227/3e046371558dac764ca497e6abdefeeb.jpg

Gissert
02-27-2016, 06:58 PM
I think your arch is high enough. The more flame contact to the pan, the better. If you could try and fabricate some kind of exit flue so the draw is better. Those blocks may crack from the heat, however.

CampHamp
02-27-2016, 07:16 PM
I setup my first block arch like you did and the flames scorched the syrup on the sides, so I put them up so the flames just hit the bottom. This also gave room to put a grate under the logs. However, if you lift them up like that, then you need some steel between the pans. It would be great if steam pans had all right angles!

There's 100 ways to do it, but here's my setup using galvanized duct pipe for the stack (they have the wide base pieces, too) and I used a piece of scrap sheet metal with a rectangle cut out for the stack to sit on:

davewittwer
02-27-2016, 07:22 PM
I think your arch is high enough. The more flame contact to the pan, the better. If you could try and fabricate some kind of exit flue so the draw is better. Those blocks may crack from the heat, however.

There will be an insulated stove pipe as a chimney, just haven't got that far yet. The location its in right now is close to my LP tank so I'm thinking of moving it. As far as scorching I actually have a grate I can use to get everything above the backs. Thanks for the heads up. Now if I could just get some sap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxtail
02-27-2016, 08:59 PM
I don't like those bricks, not at all. I see a bad burn in someone's future. I would keep children away from that. I have used cinder block like that before, but not those scored ones. The good ones I used crumbled from the heat. I think those look dangerous.

SDdave
02-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Can't say much more on the arch build looks like some good advice so far. But in your tap pic...is that shavings or what is the pink stuff around the tap?

I love technology. I can surf the trader and boil at the same time!

SDdave

Russell Lampron
02-28-2016, 05:44 AM

I've got 4G and wifi in the sugarhouse. I can post pics on facebook while I'm boiling and do all that other internet fun stuff. Just got to keep the evaporator fired and watch the temp to make sure that the front pan isn't burning up while I'm catching up on the "trader".

davewittwer
02-28-2016, 06:31 AM
Can't say much more on the arch build looks like some good advice so far. But in your tap pic...is that shavings or what is the pink stuff around the tap?

SDdave

Yes, just a bit of shavings that were on the outside edge of the hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk