PDA

View Full Version : Low Maple Flavor

Manatawny
02-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Hi, all.

I'm new to this--running just five taps, this year.

Before trying a larger batch on a block arch, I wanted to try a small, experimental batch on my stove. I made just four ounces, to start. The result seemed too thin, too straw colored, too cloudy (despite running it through a coffee filter), but most distressingly, it tasted like caramel, not maple syrup. It's delicious, just not the kind of delicious I was expecting. If I tasted it blind, I'd guess it's some kind of liquid caramel--I don't think that I'd guess it's maple.

I'm accustomed to darker maple syrup that's bursting with that unmistakable maple taste.

Now, I was using a larger pot, so, by the end, that 4 oz. was spread very thin on the bottom, and I was taking its temperature with a digital meat thermometer (that goes up to 400-some degrees). I'm wondering if I just didn't get an accurate read since there wasn't enough depth to plunge much of the probe?

What can I do differently? How can I ensure that distinctive, maple flavor?

Thanks!

P.S. I'll try to post a pic

psparr
02-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Early syrup usually is lighter and less mapley. Transfer to a smaller pot to finish it all the way.
You could thin it out with water and boil it again to darken it. Or just hold on to it and put it in the next batch.

happy thoughts
02-27-2016, 04:37 PM
It could just be light syrup which has a more delicate less maple-y taste but I think you're right about an inaccurate read with your thermometer. You need some syrup depth so the probe isn't touching the bottom of the pot. It may be light because it isn't at proper density yet. The fact that you think it's thin suggests that, too. I'd just add it to your next batch.

brass maple
02-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Last year I made 6 gallons aND on the first boil I did almost a gallon of the lightest maple syrup I have ever seen. When tested with hydrometer it was perfect. It tasted like the best butterscotch I ever had. It was great on ice cream.

Ray_Nagle
02-28-2016, 10:38 AM
It could just be light syrup which has a more delicate less maple-y taste but I think you're right about an inaccurate read with your thermometer. You need some syrup depth so the probe isn't touching the bottom of the pot. It may be light because it isn't at proper density yet. The fact that you think it's thin suggests that, too. I'd just add it to your next batch.

This is what I'm thinking too. It may be time to invest in a $25 refractomer to check the density of your product. If it tests too low, you just throw it back on and continue to boil.

spud
02-28-2016, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=Manatawny;298248]Hi, all.

I'm new to this--running just five taps, this year.

I'm accustomed to darker maple syrup that's bursting with that unmistakable maple taste.

What can I do differently? How can I ensure that distinctive, maple flavor?

Thanks!

The only way to get all those qualities is to buy Pure Vermont Maple Syrup. :lol: Just Kidding Everyone.

Spud

maple maniac65
02-28-2016, 06:03 PM
VT branded maple syrup made in NH

Sugarmaker
02-29-2016, 08:05 AM
[quote] I'm accustomed to darker maple syrup that's bursting with that unmistakable maple taste.

Darker syrup can have more flavor. Lighter is generally more delicate flavor. You don't have much to get a good temp reading when boiling. keep going your doing good.
Regards,
Chris