PDA

View Full Version : Smoky flavor

eye8astonie
03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, we just finished our first batch (all of 2 pints!), and it looks great (medium amber), is nice and sweet, but it has a distinct smoky flavor...

Will cooking it too long and too slow cause that flavor? We cooked in stainless steel pans and kept the smoke away for the most part, but since it was our first time and we also boiled down the ice that we had, it took the better part of a day to do it.

Next time we'll throw the ice away as we collect (what a difference in color between boiled ice and actual sap!!), and we'll keep the fire nice and hot so as to boil it quickly. Think that will solve the problem?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!
Duane

maplehound
03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
lucky you!!!!!!!!!!!
My first year I boiled the old fashion way and did it in cast iron kettles. We made 7 gallons of the best smoked flavored syrup I have evertasted. Several people we gave syrup too then still ask if they can get some smoked flavored. When you make over an open fire you will surly get a smoked flavor but if you go with an arch type set up you don't get that flavor.

eye8astonie
03-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks again Maplehound! I did build an arch of sorts... out of an old furnace. but it's not totally airtight, and even though I have a smokestack and it does draft pretty well, there's still some smoke hanging around the pans. Gotta think that the less time the sap is on there, the less smoke it will absorb.

Looking for a better next batch. And hopefully I'll find someone that likes smoke-flavored syrup! :)

Duane

brookledge
03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Can you do any thing with metal of some sorts to help keep the smoke away from your pots? As maplehound said if the smoke gets into the pan it will give you the smoked flavor
Keith

Flatfoot95
03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Last year was my first year with an evaporator. A small Lapierre backyarder. My syrup also had a hint of smokey flavor. I had lots of people tell me it was the best they ever had and placed orders for syrup 8 months ago.

eye8astonie
03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions all! I think between reducing the time the syrup is on the fire, as well as keeping it burning nice and hot and only putting small amounts of wood on, it will help a lot. The tops of the pans are pretty well sealed off from the smoke, as I cut holes in the furnace top for them to sit down into, so we'll see how it goes next time.

Next week looks awesome!!! :)

Thanks again!
Duane

royalmaple
03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
You can put some ceramic blanket or pan gasket material to get a better seal from the firebox to the edge of your pans. Might help a little to keep the smoke and flames from coming out around the pans.