PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator Vent Hood Exhaust Question

catfisher
02-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Fourth year hobby producers doing 40 trees this year. We just moved our evaporator inside and Mon we're picking up a new 2'x4' aluminum vent hood with a round 8" exhaust hole out the top that fits directly on the pan. We only have to go up 12' total to clear the ridgeline. Have two questions, what is the best material pipe to use to run thru the roofline and also wondering what is the best type of flex pipe, if any, that can be used from the ridged pipe to the pan. Have to be able to move and remove the vent hood from the pan as needed.

maple flats
02-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Generally the pipe is either SS or aluminum. Be sure to catch the condensate that runs down the inside of the pipe or you just need to boil it away again.

catfisher
02-28-2016, 08:30 AM
Got it on the SS and/or aluminum and found what I needed, thanks.

As far as condensation in the pipe have a 1/2" channel with drain built into the hood on the inside bottom edge, is there something else needed up in the pipe or will this take care of that?

Ghs57
02-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Got it on the SS and/or aluminum and found what I needed, thanks.

As far as condensation in the pipe have a 1/2" channel with drain built into the hood on the inside bottom edge, is there something else needed up in the pipe or will this take care of that?

You are also going to have condensation in the steam stack, which unless redirected to your drain channel, may end up back in the pan. I plan on a funnel under the steam stack opening on my new hood which will drain to the channel.

What did you find for the stack? I'm still looking, and am considering 8" flex aluminum.

catfisher
02-28-2016, 10:41 AM
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/ventilation/Duct-Pipes-Plenums/speedi-products-aluminum-flex-pipe-8-x-10

This is what I found for the 8" flex. I will be attaching this to a secured piece of 8" stainless pipe just below the roofline. Will have to see if/what I can fabricate for inside or under the vent collar to divert the stack condensation to the inside channel as well.

Ghs57
02-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Found this one also. A bit cheaper, and in various lengths. http://www.supplyhouse.com/Z-FLEX-1TLXXXX0815-8-x-15-Ft-Triple-Lock-Aluminum-Flex-Duct

Ghs57
03-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Catfisher,

Did you get your hood together? How's it working? I'm having some trouble with mine.

My drip channels leak, although I had a shop weld together some aluminum channel and I drilled drain holes on the outside. I think more water goes back in the pan then through the drains. How did you seal yours? I also have a lot of steam billowing out from under the hood on the syrup pan end. And, there is a lot of condensation dripping off the top of the inside of the hood back into the pan. Making me want to take this back off and live with a steamy shack.

catfisher
03-08-2016, 09:51 AM
We haven't cooked as of yet as we tapped this past Sunday and will be collecting tomorrow and/or/Thu. I will let you know how it works on Monday.

catfisher
03-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Ghs57

Got everything hooked up and running this weekend and it worked liked it should if not better, had no problems with the drip channel leaking and the catch pan and drain under the stack worked great.137831378413785

Ghs57
03-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Catfisher,

That looks great. Glad to hear it worked as expected. Mine is still sidelined as I had guests this weekend and had no free time to work on it. I am contemplating going to a 10" stack due to the inadequate performance of the 8". I may not be able to modify before the season ends, but the 10 day forecast has possibilities for another run here.