PDA

View Full Version : Off color sap

Jacob
02-27-2016, 09:28 AM
This is my second year and have one tree 84" around so I get alot of sap my question a couple days ago it rained heavy I have 3 lines going into 5 gallon water jug and wrap aluminum foil around top so nothing gets inside but the sap collected has a off color sort of rust looking I kept in different container in case no good I do use pre filters and the synthetic filters did anyone else have this happen

cpmaple
02-27-2016, 11:47 AM
sounds like rain water getting in your pail. By this I mean as it rains an runs down the outside of tree on the bark its following you tubing into the pail. That would give you the off color one way to help stop it is put a wire around each tubing going into the pail up from where they enter the tin foil the water will dip at that point instead of following into your pail. Just my two since I have to do this on my main lines.

Jacob
02-27-2016, 08:27 PM
I will be boiling tomorrow Sunday has anyone else had this happen rain dripping down tree into sap leaving off color light amber and did you keep or throw away I collected 6 gallons that are off color

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Jacob, depending on how much of the liquid you collected is actually sap vs. what is rain water you might want to keep those 6 gallons off to the side. On the other hand if you taste it and it tastes slightly sweet and not like 'bark tea', then boil it on its own. If it tastes OK as it gets close to syrup, then add it to your next boil.

Cedar Eater
02-27-2016, 09:42 PM
It's all about the taste. If it tastes like bark before you boil it, it's probably rainwater from the outside or possibly from cracks and splits inside the tree. I would boil it separately and taste it when it's nearup. And smell the steam as it boils. Or just pour it on your garden soil.

Jacob
02-28-2016, 05:47 AM
Thank you Karen and cedar eater for your replies that is what I will do today just taste it I am surprised how much I am getting from my tree it's 84" diameter between yesterday afternoon to early this morning about 8 gallons of course it stayed warm all night above freezing and into the 60s today I am just loving this hobby and thanks again for everyone's reply have a good day let the sap flow hopefully my neighbors tree gives me a good bit today

happy thoughts
03-01-2016, 02:05 PM
I also collect in water jugs. Instead of tinfoil I use plastic yogurt cups that are drilled to the size of the tubing. Since they cant a little when placed over the jug tops, no water ever enters. I sometimes collect from 2 taps per jug using tee connectors to reduce two pieces of tubing to one that drains into the jug. I'm not sure I'd try 3 to a jug only because you can fill a large jug from one tap alone on a good day and I usually don't collect more than once a day. I'd rather have to empty an extra jug or two than lose sap to a too small container.

Jacob
03-01-2016, 05:36 PM
I also collect in water jugs. Instead of tinfoil I use plastic yogurt cups that are drilled to the size of the tubing. Since they cant a little when placed over the jug tops, no water ever enters. I sometimes collect from 2 taps per jug using tee connectors to reduce two pieces of tubing to one that drains into the jug. I'm not sure I'd try 3 to a jug only because you can fill a large jug from one tap alone on a good day and I usually don't collect more than once a day. I'd rather have to empty an extra jug or two than lose sap to a too small container.
Happy thoughts I like your idea of using yogurt cups then drill holes instead of foil on my neighbors tree I used one of my containers from sams club that had cake icing inside and drilled holes through top it is raining today and the rain water is sitting on top will not go inside it was very tight just getting tubing through holes

happy thoughts
03-01-2016, 06:12 PM
I bet those icing containers works even better because they are bigger and less flimsy than the ones I use. I may start saving them for this use myself. Thanks! :)

Jacob
03-01-2016, 08:59 PM
I bet those icing containers works even better because they are bigger and less flimsy than the ones I use. I may start saving them for this use myself. Thanks! :)
They are heavy duty every trip to Sams I would pick up 5 get the bigger ones not sure how many gallons it holds its either 6 or 7 and my tree I just emptied my water jug into container and filled the icing container so to me that is,great getting 6-7 or more gallons a day now in my neighbors tree would just start producing I thing it had been 3 days since I tapped it and have not even got a quarter of jug filled yet told my wife if I had to rely on that tree for syrup I would have to find a different hobby the tree is around the same size as mine it just don't produce just ask the ladies in the bakery if they have any icing c on taints and don't forget to get the lids it hS nice handle to13463 it holds 32 lb will have to measure and see how many gallons

happy thoughts
03-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks, jacob. I use those, too. I think I misunderstood you because I thought you meant the tiny frosting containers you buy in the store to ice a single cake. Those could be used to cover the top of a jug like I do now with small yogurt containers.

As for the larger buckets, we drilled through the sides of the buckets near the top and left the lids intact. That way rain doesn't get in at all. If the tubing is left long enough you can empty the buckets without too much trouble.