PDA

View Full Version : Questions on My First Golden ever!

DoubleBrookMaple
02-27-2016, 09:26 AM
OK, I boiled yesterday and boiled 90 gal of 8.5% to 8.5 gallons of golden. I thought it was amber, but checked it today as I still had it in the grading kit. I thought it was just golden, and that was verified by another.
I talked to a local big producer, and he said he and others are getting darker syrup this year, and a couple near Brattleboro got some dark.
What are others here getting?
Will I be able to reheat and bottle it without it darkening to amber, as it is close to amber?

Thanks...

abbott
02-27-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm in Maine... I've mostly been making Amber, but just below Golden this year. Lighter syrup than I made last year, but I do get golden some years. Still hoping for a bit this year, but I don't really have a lot of market for it.

Your syrup will darken. Reheating will darken it, but so will time. If you re-bottle it soon it will probably still be golden, or at least close enough. I find that the grading kits vary a bit from year to year, so...

blissville maples
02-27-2016, 06:54 PM
all light so far, started off little fancy flavor

Russell Lampron
02-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Thursdays night's boil produced syrup that was just dark enough to call it amber. It taste like amber too and I am very happy with that. I hope that I don't make any golden this year. My customers don't want it and Bascom's pays the same for the 2 lightest grades now. Last year I didn't make any dark syrup and I am hoping that I do this year.

billyinvt
02-27-2016, 07:48 PM
My first syrup this year was golden. Early sap. Never got warm. Boiled very quickly in a fresh clean pan. The old timers tell me those are the keys to making fancy.

DoubleBrookMaple
02-27-2016, 09:48 PM
I also get little call for fancy/golden. I had just one person ask for it at my weekend stand all summer. It will be good to have just a little, but I also need dark as much as anything.

GeneralStark
02-28-2016, 08:00 AM
I have made all golden so far. Great flavor. Once you get into making candy, cream and sugar you will want to make lots of golden.