PDA

View Full Version : What now?

eustis22
02-27-2016, 05:29 AM
yesterday, I violated the First Law of Boiling, i.e., never turn your back on the boil. When I looked back, I saw that my syrup channel was doing that rising foam thing....I quickly dumped sap into the syrup channel, turned off my blower, and kept watching as I added more cold sap to bring the temp back down...damped the fire, and basically doubled my pan depth. I didn't get a burnt smell but I figure I've desroyed my gradient at the very least. But now what? Do I drain and clean the pan and then start all over? Is that boiled stuff still good? It didn;'t taste burnt on the 1/2 gallon or so I drained out of the pan. DO I drain back to my 1 inch boiling level and pick up the process like nothing happened? Is it possible to just continue and reestablish the gradient?

cjmiller272
02-27-2016, 06:23 AM
Keep on like nothing happened. Gradient should return on its own after a while

wnybassman
02-27-2016, 05:04 PM
I think foam rising in the syrup channel(s) is fairly normal. Just before I get draws, mine rises up to a few inches. After the draw it settles right back down.

eustis22
02-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Todays boil did indeed re-establish my gradient. Dodged a bullet, thankfully.

May the Sap be with you.