PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon storage barrel

ronintank
02-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Here is a way to make the common plastic 55 gallon barrel into a better storage barrel.
This conversion removes the top and lets the top be set back on to keep rain bugs and debris out.
Also the barrel can now be cleaned very easilyand be pumped out with either a bilge or sump pump.

wnybassman
02-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Here is a way to make the common plastic 55 gallon barrel into a better storage barrel.
This conversion removes the top and lets the top be set back on to keep rain bugs and debris out.
Also the barrel can now be cleaned very easilyand be pumped out with either a bilge or sump pump.

That is exactly how I made my feed tank for the evaporator. I cut the clear/white barrel at the 40 gallon mark, and the top as you did. I just removed one of the bung plugs to run the pipeline into from my pump. Being the white barrel, I can see the sap levels at all times, and highlighted the gallon marks with a permanent marker.

Cedar Eater
02-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Thanks. That looks very useful.

Bucket Head
02-26-2016, 10:00 PM
I've been doing this also but I cut the top out of the barrel. I start the saw in one of the bungs and go around, leaving the reinforcement ring and a half inch or so of the lid. This keeps the top of the barrel from being a little "flimsy" and it gives a little to hang on to when picking it up.

Cedar Eater
02-26-2016, 10:51 PM
I've been doing this also but I cut the top out of the barrel. I start the saw in one of the bungs and go around, leaving the reinforcement ring and a half inch or so of the lid. This keeps the top of the barrel from being a little "flimsy" and it gives a little to hang on to when picking it up.

So you're turning a barrel into a drum? What do you use for a lid then?