PDA

View Full Version : Too early to hang buckets in simcoe county?

Canada Maple
02-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Just wondering if anyone thinks taps will dry up by end of March? Don't want to miss this weekend run, but worried about tapping too early. Another question does anyone have a way to steralize Eco spouts from previous year?
Thanks
Scott

Big_Eddy
02-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone thinks taps will dry up by end of March? Don't want to miss this weekend run, but worried about tapping too early. Another question does anyone have a way to steralize Eco spouts from previous year?
Thanks
Scott

Holes don't really heal much during an extended cold spell - so if your forecast looks good for the next week - go for it. It's close enough now another week won't make much difference at the tail end.

I plan to put a couple in a pot and boil them for 10 mins. If they survive - the rest will follow. That's what I've done every year with my metal spiles.

Canada Maple
02-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. Weekend run just looks too to pass by.
Scott

Run Forest Run!
02-26-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm with you Scott. I'm grabbing my buckets and drill and am heading out.

Canada Maple
02-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Hung 45 buckets this evening, just outside of Barrie. Some of the south facing tap holes were wet. Suprising since it was -6C, but very encouraging for a good run this weekend. Will hang 70 more tomorrow once things warm up. Hope everyone in Central Ontario has a good weekend.