PDA

View Full Version : need help bricking 2x4 Randy Worthen arch...

NHguy
02-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Hello all - have learned a ton from searching and reading here. Made a little less than a gallon last year on cinder block arch and hotel pans. This year we got the bug. I purchased a used Randy Worthen 2x4 arch and 3 pan set a few weeks ago, and got it level and ready to brick yesterday. The gent I bought it from gave me all the bricks also - but to be honest I am having a heck of a time figuring the right way to put them in?

I am not very good at tetris. do any of you guys have the same set up? and would you be willing to put up a few photos of how you bricked the inside?

I have put in/taken out most of the bricks 4 times now- and don;t think I'm any closer to getting it right!

Appreciate in advance any help- I should probably boil what I have in storage this weekend!

thank you again

The New guy

steve J
02-26-2016, 10:00 AM
I assume that some of these bricks have been cut to size. So is there anyway you could asked the seller how he bricked it or if he had any photos. I don't have that brand and mine is not here to look at but I think what I did was lay the two end wall bottom rows first and than the bottom row of the side walls. At that point I laid in the floor good and tight and that sort of anchored the walls. And you build up row by row from there.

Ryan August
02-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Cant help you with the tetris aspect of it but will say i had similar struggles. found it just easier to pick up a few spare bricks and come up with my own patern and cut. I found a nice mason blade on my miter saw cut real nice, fast, easy and for me atleast, less fustrating then figuring out how to make it all fit. Then fill any little gaps with furnace cement. good luck but my vote is masonary blade, ur evap is small enought that u will only need one blade.

NHguy
02-26-2016, 06:22 PM
thanks everyone. Here's my closest so far..... but you can see the 1 finger gap in the floor and up the wall of the firebox. The top shelf I feel like I can improve with some more trial and error, but still alot of gaps. I have not cut any brick, and the previous owner says he covered the whole interior without cutting anything.

psparr
02-26-2016, 08:07 PM
I hate to mess up your Tetris game looks great! However your grate need flipped over. The way it is now it will get messed up from the heat. If you flip it over the ash will fill the "v" of the angle and insulate it from the heat.

NHguy
02-26-2016, 08:29 PM
I hate to mess up your Tetris game looks great! However your grate need flipped over. The way it is now it will get messed up from the heat. If you flip it over the ash will fill the "v" of the angle and insulate it from the heat.

Thank you! i realized that on round 27 of tetris - but unfortunately i cant come up with a configuration that works without the angle iron in the orientation that it is in the pictures... the fellow that sold me the arch was nice enough to weld that up for me. i didnt expect to find an arch for this year after scouring craigslist and maple trader etc since last spring, so had given up. this came up suddenly and i jumped. Im going to build this thing a proper shack after this season

NHguy
02-26-2016, 08:33 PM

If i can wrap my head around tubing- I might be bugging you for one of your awesome tools!

psparr
02-26-2016, 08:53 PM
If i can wrap my head around tubing- I might be bugging you for one of your awesome tools!

If you have any slope. Go 3/16. It is awesome!

Ryan August
02-27-2016, 05:19 AM
Picture two. U have a brick side ways, so it comes out the 3.5-4 inches of its width from the side. Watch ur boil, u may find the part of ur pan directly above it gets blocked from the flame and has slower boil. May want to snug that up.
Looks like ur getting there over all.

Super Sapper
02-27-2016, 05:54 AM
Your grate looks like it is upside down also. You want the V up to fill with ash.

sugaring in vt
02-27-2016, 09:27 AM
What if you used the half bricks up the front and slide the grate and side bricks forward maybe that would give you room to add a fifth row upright in the back .I'm sure you've tried that already lol.

NHguy
02-27-2016, 06:34 PM
thanks everyone - I bought 10 feet of fire blanket and cut it in to fit perfectly, was able to brick up the areas of the firebox where wood will be thrown etc.. should be good to burn! thanks again - and was able to flip the grate