PDA

View Full Version : How Many Taps is to many

billdean
02-25-2016, 06:28 PM
This tree has 4 separate trunks. I have tapped two trunks on the south side of the tree as shown for a total of 3 taps. This tree is an outstanding producer. The other trunks are of the same size as the ones I have tapped. Should I be tapping the other 2 trunks or is 3 taps the max for this tree? I believe this to be a sugar maple.

Cedar Eater
02-25-2016, 07:27 PM
The conventional wisdom is to treat each stem like it's a lone tree, measure its dbh, and tap it if it's big enough. I have clump maples and that's what I do. So far so good.

Snappyssweets
02-28-2016, 09:04 AM
I would tap each one also.

Clump Maples as they age can become hazardous if near power lines or buildings. Usually they get cut well before they die anyhow if near any of these types of things. Thus your better off getting use of it now then not. If its in the woods tap away and enjoy. It likely will outlive all of us. :D

Russell Lampron
02-28-2016, 11:04 AM
I would put 1 tap in each trunk. I would have only put one tap in the trunk that has the sap sack on it.

Sugarmaker
02-28-2016, 03:43 PM
I think that is a soft or red maple. Just my opinion. Did you check the sugar content?
Regards,
Chris

billdean
02-28-2016, 05:46 PM
I think that is a soft or red maple. Just my opinion. Did you check the sugar content?
Regards,
Chris

It may very well be a red maple. Last week the sap run like crazy in that tree. Last 2 days maybe 1/2 a gallon. I will check the sugar content tomorrow. I have small trees, 12 to 15 inch in diameter that out produce most of these big clump maples. One has given up 5 gallons of sap since last night and is still running well. This clump maple shut down before noon today.