PDA

View Full Version : Season Length - Pittsburgh area

sbedilion
02-25-2016, 02:02 PM
This is my first year. Made about 2 gallons so far. Just curious...roughly when does the season end? I have been hoarding the syrup that I made but I'd like to give some away as gifts. Season length will give me a gauge on how generous I will be :). Gotta keep my personal stash up.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D and D Sugar Camp
02-25-2016, 03:10 PM
That is the "million dollar question " , try to follow the long range forecasts and watch for the common signs of the season coming to an end. As far as sharing your syrup, it should keep well past the end of the season if stored properly. We put our syrup in mason jars when it as at or above 180° f and place them in the freezer after they seal and cool to room temperature. We opened a jar from last year this past weekend along with a new jar finished s Saturday, there was no difference in taste or quality, both were amber in color with identical clarity. Hope you don't mind the Penn State bench in my photo. My wife is Pitt Alumni. LOL.
Hope this helps with you decision.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Im down here in washington county and i boiled april second last year. It all depends. I am saying we have 3 more weeks. Rough approximation.

sbedilion
02-25-2016, 09:34 PM
Thanks!

I have a few taps at the inlaws farm near Lone Pine and several at my house in Peters. What part of Washington County?